OT: Need some advice on email client.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Need some advice on email client.

I have a new 64 bit I5 machine and am stuck with Windows 7 Home Premium. You may know there is no more "Outlook Express" with Windows 7. It was particularly conveinant for me because I email a lot of pictures and it was really easy with Outlook Express. Is anyone aware of any other options I have? Right now I'm using Time Warners Roadrunner email setup and it sucks. If I try to send more then one image it zips all the files together and the recipient has a hard time viewing them.

Thanks for any suggestions that may work short of shoving the damn thing up my.........
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

I haven't found anything I like and I have done a lot of looking. I use Win Live and have turned off various "phone home" features in the policy editor. It still sucks, especially the F***ing ribbon menu. I sure do hate that thing.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

How about Thunderbird? I've used it for years. Works great for me...
      Keith

Comment

I use Thinderbird as well. Not perfect, but OK, and should be feel fairly familiar to someone who is used to outlook.

Comment

Yep, I hate that crap, only web mail I ever really liked is Outlook Web Access.

My solution won't be popular because of the price but I'd suggest buying Microsoft Office "Home and Business" edition and you'll have Word, Excel, and Outlook. Retail should be about $150. Do be careful there are multiple bundles of Office suite and you want to be sure to get Outlook client in the package (or download as the case may be).

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog View Post
            I have a new 64 bit I5 machine and am stuck with Windows 7 Home Premium. You may know there is no more "Outlook Express" with Windows 7. It was particularly conveinant for me because I email a lot of pictures and it was really easy with Outlook Express. Is anyone aware of any other options I have? Right now I'm using Time Warners Roadrunner email setup and it sucks. If I try to send more then one image it zips all the files together and the recipient has a hard time viewing them.

Thanks for any suggestions that may work short of shoving the damn thing up my.........
            I haven't tried this yet, but it may be close to what you're used to:
            http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...k-2013-preview

Comment

You should take a look at gmail.

Their concept of using labels instead of folders takes a little getting used to, but it's actually much better in the long run.
              Rather than having to choose a single folder for a message, you can have multiple labels attached to a message, so if I had an email referring to a customer invoice, I could tag it with the customer id, AND also tag it as "due invoices" and "to-do" I've been using gmail for years and I've never had a problem with losing a single message (which is more than I can say about Microsoft Exchange).

If you need to use your own domain name, they also have business oriented options but they're not free like "regular" gmail.

Comment

I moved from Eudora, which I ran since Beta, to ThunderBird about 9 months ago. I'm very pleased with it.

Pops

Comment

You might try the new Microsoft outlook.com. They have rebuilt Hotmail and the few reviews I have seen are pretty positive. As long as it doesn't have a ribbon menu.

Oh yeah, they also promise to never snoop your mail, only the headers of mail sent to you.
                  Last edited by Evan; 08-04-2012, 09:19 PM.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Outlook Express was replaced by Windows Live Mail, which has a spam filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mail

You can download it (free) here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...other-programs

I can't vouch for it -- I use Outlook mail.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

When I went with Win.7, I started using Outlook. I still would switch back to Outlook Express any day if I had a chance. It had a simple and clean interface and was more intuitive. For my purposes it would be more than enough.

Comment

I've used Outlook forever.. or so it seems. Maybe 15+ years. I put most onto Windows Live or... Yahoo mail.

Comment

Thanks guys. Guess if it's true what the say about misery loving company then I should be a happy camper I'll try Thunderbird and if it feels cumberson then I'll do the Outlook. I can't believe I'm the only one PO'd that they dumped Outlook Express and that they can't find away to get it back for us. My needs are very simple and I don't like all the distractions and detractors of complicated software.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I'm assuming you know that for T-bird, you have to have a POP3 accessible email account with somebody else. And this put me on a search. I use a wireless modem, and there is no email account with it, so I had to find one. Gmail pops up first, but I refuse to use anything that has Google in it, period. Yahoo is not POP3 unless you pay for it. There are several others that you've probably not ever heard of, I'm trying GMX.com. They are out of Germany I think. Not too bad but sometimes there is a lag in delivery/sending.

Comment

Gmail is OK, we use it at work.....

It DOES prompt google to send you ads based on email contents..... so yes, they ARE reading it, and acting on the contents. EVEN the contents of spam incoming....... NEVER for home email...NEVER.

I am sure the google default way of handling replies and email history is fine, IF you want that..... I found it weird, illogical, and a real problem. I prefer to do my OWN sorting and storage, and I find their default setup to be totally non-intuitive as well as just "wrong". I get a fair number of emails that are replied to multiple times back and forth.... Gmail just made that strange.....

I finally made it work normally with the email showing up ONE place in ONE format....organized in order of reply. Personally, I prefer that..... but then I drive a stickshift too, and like it better than an automatic (which I have owned and dumped), so maybe I am just not liking the designers making my decisions for me.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X