Tool gloat: Bridgeport round ram!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool gloat: Bridgeport round ram!

Just finished cleaning this Bridgeport round ram mill.
    It showed up on a second hand site here in the condition shown in the photo's.... Wasn't up for a "project", but couldn't get it out of my mind and then thought if it goes for the scrapping price I'll go for it. Mailed the guy and he was asking € 300,- . So I rang him up and inquired about the the rust on the pictures and what spindle collets it would take ( wouldn't like having one with the b & s ).
    The rust was only surface rust and or grease and it was one with a mc2 taper. Went to have a look and machine looked fine, especially for the price; I carefully cranked the handles and underneath the tables the ways were clean and oiled.
    We then dismantled it and loaded it in my van ( poor little van:-). Ended up giving € 350,- cause it looked like a really good machine and the seller was really helpfull loading.
    After a couple of days cleaning, the last picture shows what I got. I'm so happy with this new tool!!!!

Peter

www.petermoll.nl/divers/bp1.jpg
    www.petermoll.nl/divers/bp2.jpg
    www.petermoll.nl/divers/bp3.jpg
    Last edited by peter76; 08-05-2012, 07:45 AM.

Great job cleaning it up. You'll get a lifetime of good use from it, they're good machines. By the way YOU SUCK! Now it's officially a true Tool Gloat! Congrads!, Eric
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

If you have more rust the local auto store sells rust removal jelly that works well with the scratch proof brillo pads. $350 is a good price as a cheap HF drill press costs that much. I have a round ram with a j head and use it every day.

Comment

Looks good!!!

Comment

Good for you Peter!

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
          - Piet Hein

Comment

If you need to do any refurbishment, here is is some inspiration: http://neme-s.org/shapers/bp.html

GeofF

P.S. nice find.

Comment

I definitely have to check out this rust removal stuff; I have heard about it for ages, but never used it; just scotch brite and wd 40...
              @ ammcoman2: already found that site when looking for info on this mill.... But won't have time for a refurbishment right now.... am a young father; not retired:-)

Comment

Good on ya Peter
                You are now going to have a very interesting restoration project. Be sure to show us your progress.
                Randy

BTW YOU SUCK!
                Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Good find Peter.
                  X2 on the keeping us in the loop.

You Suck!
                  Have a good day.

Comment

Working...
                  X