Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tools - In A Time Of Crisis, What To Take?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools - In A Time Of Crisis, What To Take?

With daily doses of economic storm cloud warnings from the media as well as political upheaval being a common theme for country after country lately (and historically as well), what tools would you absolutely make sure you took with you, if you had to abandon your home and shop?

We have all seen the historical and current news footage of refugees fleeing, some with literally just the clothes on their backs. If you had just a few minutes or hours, what would you go into your shop and grab? What would be your priority items and why?

If you could only fill your pockets? If you could only fill a backpack? If you could only fill a car boot/trunk?
    Last edited by gcude; 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM.
    Cheers,
    Gary

Very basic hand tools, files. Thats it, there isn't a machine in my shop less than 3000 lbs expect for a small drill press. A few boxes of screws, maybe a cordless drill or two. I have some solar panels I could recharge those with. Wire ties, hose clamps, duct tape, fastners, bailing wire etc. And Ammo, lots of ammo.
    James Kilroy

Comment

Gold. .
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Gold. .
        Evan, I like how you think!

I was more thinking along the lines of what James is saying. Files, Hacksaw with a dozen or more fresh blades (blades take up almost no room). A Vise would be great but probably to heavy and cumbersome to carry around unless you were able to toss into a car or truck.

How about measuring instruments? What could you do without and what would be absolutely mandatory in your opinion?

We know we can make tools from other tools, so what basics would give us a good fundamental base to get a running start to building/replacing tools we had to abandon and could no longer just order up online or run down to a local supplier and purchase?

I also agree with the, "lots of ammo", comment ... you would have to protect what precious little you might have left.
        Cheers,
        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gcude View Post
          I also agree with the, "lots of ammo", comment ... you would have to protect what precious little you might have left.
          One of the stars of Discovery Channels "Prepper's":

I was at the grocery store yesterday, and there's a subscription magazine now called "Preppers." I can't wait 'till 2012 and the elections are over
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Guns, and just guns, sad as it would be with guns you could "own" all the files and gold and whatever else u wanted...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
              Guns, and just guns, sad as it would be with guns you could "own" all the files and gold and whatever else u wanted...
              True, but I would rather not have to be a raider to survive. However, at some point survival might demand I change my ethical and moral values.

Part of the reason for this thread, other than the general interest items of economic and political changes, is that it is wildfire season here in Texas again. Burning bans are going up in counties around us daily, but fools will be fools and people start fires that quickly get out of hand as well as smokers tossing smoldering butts out their car windows. Some of last years fires got way to close for comfort. I wanted to get a more broad and interesting thread started than one that just considered a few months of inconveniece that being displaced by a fire would cause.
              Last edited by gcude; 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM.
              Cheers,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                That won't work in Texas (or most places in the South), where everyone has as many guns as you do

Part of the reason for this thread other than the general interest items of economic and political changes are that it is wildfire season here in Texas again.
                Some of last years fires got way to close for comfort.
                True, although this Summer is much milder than last Summer, and we've had a lot of rainfall. But Google "Bug-out Bag". Hold on to your seat
                I'm pretty sure the majority of the Preppers fad is because of the Mayan Calendar bullsh!t. There's a company in Austin that's advertising weddings at various Mayan temples in Central America so you can celebrate The End Of The World As We Know It
                Last edited by lazlo; 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                  That won't work in Texas (or most places in the South), where everyone has as many guns as you do
                  No - it's not that it won't work - just has a lower probability of working that's all, and what it really does insure is that without them your totally screwed - just leave the house with nothing but a loaded gimp of 40 lbs of gold in your back back and see how far you get - lol

Comment

I'm pretty sure the majority of the Preppers fad is because of the Mayan Calendar bullsh!t. There's a company in Austin that's advertising weddings at various Mayan temples in Central America so you can celebrate The End Of The World As We Know It
                    I'm not worried about the Mayan Calendar stuff. I'm worried about the things that people say can't happen here. Seen it too many times that "what cannot happen", does.
                    Cheers,
                    Gary

Comment

True, but I would rather not have to be a raider to survive. However, at some point survival might demand I change my ethical and moral values.
                      agreed - that's why I said it would be very sad

Part of the reason for this thread, other than the general interest items of economic and political changes, is that it is wildfire season here in Texas again. Burning bans are going up in counties around us daily, but fools will be fools and people start fires that quickly get out of hand as well as smokers tossing smoldering butts out their car windows. Some of last years fires got way to close for comfort. I wanted to get a more broad and interesting thread started than one that just considered a few months of inconveniece that being displaced by a fire would cause.

Ok, first time I heard of the wildfire as being the reason for leaving though, just saying...

Comment

I'm not worried about the Mayan Calendar stuff. I'm worried about the things that people say can't happen here. Seen it too many times that "what cannot happen", does.
                        You're missing my point Gary. After New Year's, and the world doesn't end, all this Prepper crap will go away, and the three different Discovery Channel "reality shows" will go off the air, and gun and ammo prices will drop back to normal, just like the 2008 black rifle debacle.

Comment

I would take a tool for producing at least small quantities of potable water.
                          My cup 'o plasma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1vMfmhM9fg No dialog, just ten minutes of dancing plasma and music. Turn on, tune in, space out.

Comment

... and gun and ammo prices will drop back to normal, just like the 2008 black rifle debacle.
                            Well, at least that is something to look forward to.
                            Cheers,
                            Gary

Comment

There are people that own firearms, and there are people that will use them.
                              James Kilroy

Comment

Working...
                              X