Smart???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart???

I am pretty smart. I even have a certificate that says I am pretty smart. So how come I am nursing -- again -- a bleeding thumb from not clamping a part down to drill a hole in it. I know better. Even if you are drilling a 3/32" hole in a 400 pound engine block it is a good idea to clamp the work down. Or keep lots of bandaids around.

I been that kinda smart. I must be good at it because I been that kinda smart many times and have scars on the appendages to show for it.

Comment

I'm really smart. I find the holes, bruses, scratches, etc the next day and never even know what caused them. My wife just shakes her head and mumbles something in Italian.

I found a fresh cut on the back of my heel a couple of days ago. I'm really wondering how that happened. I'll likely die of a self inflicted wound and not know about it for several days after it happens.

I rarely clamp work in the drill press but I do always make sure it can't spin if the drill grabs.

Paul A
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

WOW! Great shop. I covet your bandsaw.

Comment

Randolph,

I assume you were using a drill press.

Don't feel too bad. From a couple of articles I've read, more workshop accidents happen while using a drill press than any other tool.

We all know what to do we just don't do it.

Comment

I'm just as smart as the rest of you guys. Why, just a few minutes ago I put water on for tea. Then wondered why I wasn't hearing any boiling noises. Didn't turn the burner on.
            Yeah, I've had my share of dp accidents, same reason. On both drill press and mill, while using a fly cutter-- didn't anticipate the cutter coming around-- the hand just doesn't stand up to the unforgiving steel. My biggest problem with the dp is that I've developed a technique of allowing the workpiece to 'float' while centering under the drill bit, then I just go ahead and drill. It's done before I could find the clamp.
            Ever have to look around the shop to find a workpiece with half a drill bit stuck in it---
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Maybe we should all take up bowling.
              mite

Comment

I've only had a couple of metal and wood splinters and one bandaid this week in the shop. Not a bad week.

But if I go to work on my pickup, I just take a tool and go ahead and hit it across my knuckles before I start. That way I don't have to worry about when am I going to skin them. Get it out of the way first.

Les

Comment

A machine shop is obviously a potentially dangerous place..

Be careful out there if you are working with people..I had an employee that has hepatitis-B...When I found out that he had it, I kind of freaked out (I didn't freak out at him)..

I proceeded to call the department of health to see if I am at high risk...I said that we are a machine shop..They said that I am at absolutely no risk, because you transmit it through bodily fluids like blood...

What idiots..this is a machine shop..we cut are selves on a semi-daily basis..I AM at high risk, even if the department of health disagrees...

I went and had my series of 3 shots for hepatitis-B...No chances...There is always blood at work...

be careful,
                  brent

Comment

Randolph:

Just about everyone thumbs their noses at safety issues for little things like that - because it is "just one hole" - next thing you know I am drivng a guy to the hospital with a thumb wrapped in in bloody gauze.

Better safe than sorry, you only have two eyes, eight fingers, two thumbs, two hands, one nose, and one pecker.

Comment

At work we have and old drill press with a foot switch,it also has a toggle switch to kill the foot switch while changing bits,helper didn't think he needed this feature while changing bits,he got three of his fingers wrapped up in the chuck,didn't break any,but bruised finger nails smart!
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I hate foot switches.

It is amazing how the use of a foot to hold you up tends to override the need to let up on a control if you get into trouble.

Training your foot otherwise takes a while, and isn't reliable for me in emergencies.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

I should have been on america's dumbest machinists program. I was doing some welding at a friend's business. The job needed a few drilled holes in some angle iron pieces. It was about 20*F outside and about 10*F inside his plant. I had my gloves on to keep my hands from sticking to the metal. After I had drilled the holes I reached for the off button and a long wild chip was still spinning on the drill. Needless to say the chip grabbed the glove and wrapped my 4 fingers around the 1/2" drill. Tryed to pull away but no good. That little bench top drillpress wouldn't stall. Smoke was coming from the glove by the time I could reach around to hit the stop switch. I had to pry my fingers loose from around the drill. I was half afraid to take the glove off. I didn't know if the fingers were intact. I was extremely lucky, everything still attached, only slightly stretched, and a little bruised and burned. That was the 1st and last time for wearing ANY gloves around machinery, and the last time I ever did any work outside my shop. I used my own equipment from then on, I don't have to look for the shut off switches.

Keep safe,
                          Frank

Comment

I to often discover cuts, sratches and bruises only hours after the fact. This injury, however, did not go unnoticed. Had to say all the french words that I know twice.

The vise on my Elliot shaper is heavy.
                            To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

George, thems too ugly even fer French cus words!

Comment

Working...
                              X