No announcement yet.

Another odd piece - anyone regonize these brass telescoping tubes?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another odd piece - anyone regonize these brass telescoping tubes?

    This came out of a toolmakers box (may or may not mean anything).

    - brass telescoping tubes, each 4" long or so
    - goes from .175 to .875 OD
    - ends are beveled like they're for cutting...but would have to be something soft, wax? food?
    - rope knurls and number font suggest they're old
    - nicely made and cared for


  • #2
    Saw similar tool from a seller of scientific/labware appartus. He said it was it was a cork cutter. To put various size holes in stoppers. Modern version:
    Last edited by Rosco-P; 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM.


    • #3
      awesome, you nailed it!

      looks like it might be worth something

      silly Vendor went and polished it...mines got the patina and no bent handles....keep...sell buy tools....keep....sell buy tools...keep....


      • #4
        They are a set of 'cork borers' and should have a special sharpening tool with the set.


        • #5
          Sell, sell, sell! Keeping crap you have little chance of ever using makes you a candidate for the TLC show: Hoarders.
          At the time (20 years ago), dealer was getting about $10 for a set that was made from stainless steel.


          • #6
            Yes they are cork borers but also sold as old time gasket hole cutters That's what I use mine for paper, leather and cork sheet or the cork or rubber stoppers. Nice looking set it appears to be a complete set other than the sharpener which seems to be the first thing to go! the the rod that clears the tubes of the plugs.
            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only


            • #7
              You know...while I have learned A LOT regarding machining from the members, where else are you going to LEARN about stuff like this...the general knowledge gained here is second to none!

              Please keep buying and putting up threads here.

              as a side note, many of you take really good photos, I think my ratio is about 40:1...that's blurry/useless to one you can see the details I was after


              • #8
                i have a set of bung cutters like that in the lab i work, they work well om compressed cork but dont fare so well on rubber bungs, in years gone by setting up experiments needed them but these days quick fit glassware is the mainstay, i have used them to punch out holes in gaskets with some success, a lead block is handy or hardwood as a backer, i have a few circular scars on the palm of my left hand so be warned!
                all the best


                • #9
                  What a neat find,, a real keeper.

                  (Great item to pull out for the know-it-all visitors.) Lol


                  • #10
                    I thought that I would be the only one on this board to recognize these as cork cutters, but am again amazed at the collective knowledge in this group! If you don't know what to do with them, send'em to me, I am a hoarder.Bob.


                    • #11
                      I have a full set of those stopper cutters, obtained from a chemistry lab surplus equipment sale, and they are my first choice for gasket hole cutting. The sharpener tool is indeed very desirable to have as well, and you might be on the lookout for one .