Terminally cute lathe (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminally cute lathe (pics)

Well, it finally showed up today. I bought my "new" Unimat DB-200 today. Paid USD $150 for it. I spent a few hours cleaning it this evening. The micro lathe comes with a full selection of tooling including the milling attachment and a wide selection of bits. It includes a three jaw and a very nice four jaw chuck. The lathe is an early model from the early 70's and appears to be in new condition. There is no appreciable wear. It also includes the original manual, a promotional poster from the time and the original correspondence of the original buyer with the Canadian distributor. It also includes the original nicely made wooden box the lathe came in. I haven't made chips with it yet but will do so soon.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

You did good, nice machine!

Welcome to the Family (sniff, sniff)!

Comment

I think mine was AUstrian. Had a leather belt. Didn't, haven't ever saw one with a rubber Oring for a belt.? Is that something new?

Mine would do some things, but was too small to chuck harley flywheels into.

If you are a modeler, that is probably all you will ever need, until you have to have the milling attachment, the sander, the saw, the.... I think you can put thousands into them unimats in accessories.
      Mine was dead true, had smooth controls. It just cut like a 1/30th hp motor. I AM POWER hungry thou.. gimme horsepower.. AS in my bridgeport, it used to be 2horsepower, forever more I will have this vision of rats running around in wheels turning the spindle.

I wish I had kept my Unimat. At least for my teenage son if nothing else. I made a hundred on it and let it go.

David

Comment

Evan,
        Your new lathe is pre 70's
        Bought mine 71 0r 72 and it had a plastic motor housing.
        Congradgulation ( I will give you $151.00 cash, look at the profit you will make :-)
        ------------------
        George
        Remember the early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

[This message has been edited by George Seal (edited 03-02-2004).]
        George from Conyers Ga.
        Remember
        The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Evan,
          For some reason your photos won't come up today. Even the photo that you posted in the "Stringy chips from hell" thread that I looked at yesterday won't load today.
          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Had a minor problem with the ADSL connection last night. It's fixed now.

Comment

WOW, that machine looks totally unused! You lucky stiff. Are the castings made of cast iron or some kind of aluminium alloy?
              To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Evan
                I am glad it was on your end.Was just fixing to fire off a nasty gram to MSN.
                Thanks for ALL the pictures you post keep up the good work

------------------
                George
                Remember the early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
                George from Conyers Ga.
                Remember
                The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Evan: The best to you and your new addition. Seeing the pics reminds me of how I got started in machining. Our lab had a Unimat and I cut my first chips on it. Turned some small parts on it used in the Medical Device Industry. I still have the remains of the lathe in my shop. SK

Comment

Evan: I was in college in '72 and used to visit a Force Machinery in Union, NJ. In a glass display case, they had your machine and next to it, a Cameron precision micro drill press. For a student, the prices were off by a decimal point. Had to go see it every few months anyway.

Your machine looks like it's in about the same condition

Den

Comment

George,

It is aluminum alloy. Only the very first ones were cast iron. They are apparently painted black so easy to tell.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                        George,

It is aluminum alloy. Only the very first ones were cast iron. They are apparently painted black so easy to tell.
                        </font>
                        Evan,

Not true. I have the CI model and it is the same color as yours. I bought it new in the 60s and it is now very well used.

Rubber O Rings were standard on mine. I think the leather belts were a possible solution to belt breakage problems. The original belts I had were actually a "V" variation of the strict O ring - had two flats on them.

Paul A.
                        Paul A.

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

You're right, that is a Cutie! What's the OAL of that lathe?

$150..??? I don't see how you can sleep well at night.
                          When I was younger it seemed like I was lucky at encountering good deals like that. But for the last ten or so years, when I inquire about one I get the sad news "Sorry, it was just sold, 5 minutes ago". Arrgh!

Saw a (new) ad in Sunday's paper for a '95 Buick Regal, 1 owner, 31K miles, rediculously low price. Yep, ...Sorry it's already sold.

Comment

Nice find Evan. Cute little machine!

Now you can refer to your 9" South Bend as "my big lathe".

Comment

Lynnl,

I informed the seller that he was selling it too cheaply but he didn't care. I sleep just fine.

BTW, the overall length is 16.2"

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 03-02-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                              X