Getting your web site recognized by search engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting your web site recognized by search engines

I am starting this thread because I noticed that many web sites, especially those built by end users, do not have good luck being recognized by the search engines. There is a whole industry behind "being recognized" on the web, but there are some simple things that are overlooked by "home" designers of web sites that will be of great help.

Here are the basics of how you site gets recognized on the web. You can spend a lot of money with Google and other search engines and "Buy" a higher ranking in the search engine world. Or, you can provide information in your "header" and search engines will find and index your web site, by the information your provide.

Next I will review what i am doing on my web site to drive "search engine" traffic to my site.

Here is what my "Header" information looks like on all of my web pages:

<html>

<head>
    <title>My Projects Page</title>
    <meta name="generator" content="Namo WebEditor">
    <META NAME="TITLE" CONTENT=" Homebuilt Aircraft Parts from MyKitAirplane.">
    <META NAME="AUTHOR" CONTENT="http://www.mykitairplane.com">
    <META NAME="SUBJECT" CONTENT=" Aircraft Parts ">
    <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Race Consulting supplies information and components for Zenith homebuilt aircraft ">
    <META NAME="ABSTRACT" CONTENT="Homebuilt Aircraft Parts from Race Consulting. - Parts and supplies for the Zenith Airplane Builder">
    <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="Inspection Openings,baggage door kit,fuel tank trim plate,fuel filler trim,fuel drain trim,pilot supplies,aircraft parts,home built aircraft,kit planes,Zenith Parts,Instrument Bezels,Inspection Opening Kits,Tie Down Kits,Custom Panels,2 and 3 Axis Controller,Experimental Aircraft,MyKitAirplane Builders Program,Airplane Building DVD,Zenith 701 POH,Zenith CH701,Aircraft Data Plate,instrument panels">
    <META NAME="COPYRIGHT" CONTENT="http://www.mrrace.com">
    <META NAME="LANGUAGE" CONTENT="English">
    <META NAME="DISTRIBUTION" CONTENT="global worldwide">
    <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="7 DAYS">
    <META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="index,follow">
    <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="index,follow">
    <meta name="namo-theme" content="Theme\RaceConsulting Design\GoldWorld">
    </head>

Understand the above "stuff" and placing it in the appropriate place on your site will go a long ways toward "being recognized and found" with search engines. I suggest you copy the above information, paste it in notepad, and print it out. This will make it easier to follow as I try to explain what each entry does.

To start with, how do you find the stuff above in any web site? Here is something to try right here on this site, as you read this article. First, right click on this page, anywhere, with your mouse. From the list that opens up, click on "View Page Source." That will open a window that shows the "META" information at the top of the page. META information is background information used by web search engines and robots to "index" your pages on the World Wide Web. This site does have "meta" entries, but only a minimal amount.

Now looking at my list, from above, here are some key things to ponder on. Each entry beginning with META NAME= is conveying information used for web indexing. You can read down the list, each entry is important. Important to your sight being found is the content of your "SUBJECT," "DESCRIPTION," "ABSTRACT" and "KEYWORDS" areas. Of all of those, the KEYWORDS area must contain as much "unique" to your situation information as you can provide. Each entry must be separated by a "comma" and there is no limit to the size of the list.

The next important group provides information to "Robots" that constantly search the web for information to include in their search lists. If you want more information about how Robots work, do a search on "Search Engines and Robots" for a lot more information on how they work. Key to this group are the following entries: "DISTRIBUTION," "REVISIT-AFTER," "GOOGLEBOT," and "ROBOTS". Those are the entries that direct the Search Engine Robots what to do and how often to look for information on your site for their search index information.

If you look at the page headers on the sites you visit, you may find a lack of this kind of information. So how can they be so easily recognized by search engines like Google? The answer is simple, all it takes it money. You can literally buy your way into a top ranking in any particular search engine through their provided services. But, if you don't want to spend thousands getting your Web Site higher in the search engine list, you can use the above information to get started, and it is free and under your control.

Hope this helps you to understand "Site Search Ranking" just a little better.

George
    My Web Site
    www.mrrace.com
    Builder & Test Pilot N73EX

Yep I was surprised when I recently found that you can 'bid' on search words so that your site comes out top in the rankings. The company I work for told me that one particular search term was costing them £8 a hit.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Search Engine Optimization is a complex and dynamic endeavor. Both Google and Bing have pages that can help you avoid pitfalls in your SEO activities. Since accuracy and timely information is also important it is a good idea to take the time to create a sitemap of your pages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitemaps

Don't ignore Bing in your SEO efforts - with the bad press Google has earned, Bing is becoming a fast growing first choice for search. Full disclosure: Google is 100% blocked at my firewall.

It is also a very good idea to make sure your HTML is clean by having it scanned for errors. That can be done here: http://validator.w3.org/

Get information on common SEO errors. Make sure it is recent information as this truly is a dynamic process. http://www.opportunitiesplanet.com/s...akes-to-avoid/

Get multiple opinions - nobody who was right should be considered still right regarding many of these tips.

Since you want your pages to be read they have to be readable and that means they need to be renderable on a variety of browsers and operating systems. That now more than ever includes mobile devices. If you are using a canned product such as Wordpress, Drupal, or other content management system (CMS) there may be little you can do to control this other than finding acceptable themes to install, but if you hand craft your pages, layout will be your job. There are some good and bad ideas about that, too. http://webdesignerwall.com/trends/96...is-getting-old

Size matters. And is changing. Stay on top of this. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

Mobile devices are the fastest growing segment in browsers now. Don't be left behind. http://www.w3.org/Mobile/

Comment

Google's search algorithms are very complex and go far beyond simple meta content. Google ignores the meta content entirely and instead looks at the actual web page content. Meta content is too easily abused and unreliable. The largest factor the Google uses is the number of other reputable web sites that link to yours. That eliminates creating "link farms" and it also matters how well the linking sites relate to your content. Also, the higher the rating of the linking web site the more important a link from that site is to your site.

Google also dislikes hidden content such as white text on a white background. Not only will it be ignored, it will also result in a lower rating.

If you want to see a page of mine that has been in the top ten now for about 15 years look up "karelian bear dogs". The web page is rather pathetic as I designed it 15 years ago and the owners haven't paid me to update it since it works so well for them. When it first went up it was about the only site on line about Bear Dogs so it has numerous links from all over the world. That is what keeps it in the top ten. It also has a hard to spot tag cloud at the bottom of the page but it isn't ignored because it is on top of a graphic.

See http://crazywolf.com/beardog/ It currently comes up as number four in the above search which is a number that many would kill for.

Google looks at content and it rates content according to header tags, among many other things. It looks for the primary search terms to be at or near the top of the page and the larger the text size the higher the rating it gives to that search term. It also looks for repetitions of the search terms within the text body but if repeated too many times it will down rank them. There are many other factors but what I have mentioned are some of the most important for a simple web page.

Incidentally, I create my web sites with notepad.
        Last edited by Evan; 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

See http://crazywolf.com/beardog/ It currently comes up as number four in the above search which is a number that many would kill for.
          Google the phrase Home Workshop or Homeworkshop.

No bad, been there for 4 years.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
            Google the phrase Home Workshop or Homeworkshop.

No bad, been there for 4 years.
            It took me to http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/ - a site with a very annoying cookie policy that leaves a nag badge on the screen. I took the hint and left.

Comment

Google ignores the meta content entirely and instead looks at the actual web page content. Meta content is too easily abused and unreliable.
              Evan is 100% correct in this. I'm a web guy; I've been through this.

Comment

Evan,

I was particularly interested in this thread and your comments because I am going to update my own site soon.
                Two things I noticed. First, I did use Google to search for "karelian bear dogs" as you suggested. It did not come up as number four in that search. It wasn't even on the first page of results. It was the sixth entry down on the tenth page, making it #96 in the results. In the top 100 which would get noticed by me as I usually stop or refine my search after ten pages. I have to wonder if there are other factors in Google's search. Perhaps it also factors in the habits of the person (computer) doing the search. You have probably visited that site before so it is higher on your results list. Just a thought.

The other thing is, after visiting the site, I have to say that any apology about it is really not called for. It is a very nicely done site and probably a lot nicer than 99% of what is on the web. It is certainly nicer than mine or this page. I may hire you for my site.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

If you want to see a page of mine that has been in the top ten now for about 15 years look up "karelian bear dogs". The web page is rather pathetic as I designed it 15 years ago and the owners haven't paid me to update it since it works so well for them. When it first went up it was about the only site on line about Bear Dogs so it has numerous links from all over the world. That is what keeps it in the top ten. It also has a hard to spot tag cloud at the bottom of the page but it isn't ignored because it is on top of a graphic.
                  Seriously, have you checked that recently, that site isn't coming up until page 10 on Google. I tried Bing and Yahoo with equal results.

BTW, I love the keywords hidden behind the background graphic.
                  Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Originally posted by goose View Post
                    Seriously, have you checked that recently, that site isn't coming up until page 10 on Google. I tried Bing and Yahoo with equal results.

BTW, I love the keywords hidden behind the background graphic.
                    Did you put the quotes around the string? I had the same experience until I did that then it cam in #4. I don't count the sticky pay ads at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
                      It took me to http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/ - a site with a very annoying cookie policy that leaves a nag badge on the screen. I took the hint and left.
                      Dennis, did you accept the cookies ? I'd like to know as we may not see what others see.
                      The cookie policy is now part of UK law which we have to comply with.

All I see is a small green tick in the bottom left corner

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
                        Did you put the quotes around the string? I had the same experience until I did that then it cam in #4. I don't count the sticky pay ads at the top.
                        quotes = page 5 Google, page 2 Yahoo and Bing
                        Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                          Dennis, did you accept the cookies ? I'd like to know as we may not see what others see.
                          The cookie policy is now part of UK law which we have to comply with.
                          Of course not. The site is not entitled to store their data on my systems. The Brits don't seem to understand who owns space on my system.

All I see is a small green tick in the bottom left corner
                          Much bigger. And it floats so stays right there as I scroll.

Comment

Where it comes up depends first on what country you are in. If you are in Canada it will come up higher than anywhere else since it is a Canadian site. Even closeness to the site location can play a part although mine will show up as being in the Toronto area since that is where the server is located. It also depends on your search history although that hasn't had an influence on my results since this is the first time I have looked it up since I built this computer.

You can try searches with different Google locations just by using the URL for that server cloud such as google.ca for Canada. I do that all the time when I check the news to see what is considered important in different parts of the world.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Google has started doing something stupid, recently, at least on my servers. I have a tool running called DenyHosts. It is a PHP tool that explores the authentication log and looks for the signature of brute force login attempts. This is where a black hat site attempts to log in using a long list of login names and passwords. The services being attacked are ssh, smtp, ftp, imap, pop, and telnet. I used to get thousands of these connection attempts each week, and each would have hundreds of attempts. It is a big waste of bandwidth. Using an automated script, the blackhat attaches using one or more of the protocols and starts running down the list of user names and passwords. So this PHP script I run looks for a certain repeating pattern of failure in the authentication log and when a match is found it grabs the offending IP address and drops it into the /etc/hosts.deny file. That file is consulted by the xinetd super server at each connection attempt and if there is a match between a connecting system and an IP entry on that list, xinetd will drop the connection with prejudice. No more wasted bandwidth.

So what Google in their infinite wisdom is doing is connecting to my ftp server as user anonymous. My server doesn't allow anonymous ftp, and if this happens three times in an undisclosed period of time the connecting system is blocked. For freaking ever. So one by one, Google servers are cutting their own throats.

Comment

Working...
                              X