Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of lathes..... here's a C-L "beauty".... look closely.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why all the negatives ?
    I have seen people on this board buy worse for more money then go about restoring it.
    OK broken top slide, not all the world, I for one don't have a top slide fitted to my lathe, rigidity is worth far more to me that a taper 4 times a year.

It's got about the same amount of paint on it that my TOS has and that thing is deadly accurate and guess what, it will have even less paint on next year.

Don't like it ? OK your prerogative, shell out and buy new with a guarantee.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Your auto analogy is apples and oranges. A truly dedicated gomer can inflict that kind of damage to a lathe in a couple of minutes without even turning the machine on.

The 4900 is a very good quality lathe, heavy construction, hardened and ground ways and a good range of speeds and feeds. To walk away from that machine simply because of some imagined defect from photos would be foolish if you were indeed interested in a lathe in this size and price range.
      Jim H.

Comment

I agree, I wouldn't worry about the compound to much. I would be looking at the spindle and bearings a little more than normal but it wouldn't scare me from buying if I were looking at it.

My compound isn't missing chunks but you can see where it has been hit more than a few times (it was a school lathe as well).
        Andy

Comment

I also would not worry too much about the compound slide damage. It looks like it can be repaired and even if you don't, there is enough left of that side of the Tee slot to use it as is for most purposes.

I would be more concerned about the spindle bearings, but only if they are BB or roller bearings. If it uses a journal bearing, like my SB, then the chances of damage from this accident are slim. I am not familiar with Clausing so I don't know what type of spindle bearing it has.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Now I bet if someone new to the game was asking if he should buy this or a new Chinese machine we would be hearing nothing but praise for this Clausing.

Comment

Oh, heck...... you guys are stubbornly LITERAL...

SURE AND I'D BUY IT, although probably I'd try not to do it for $1400, but actually, I do not WANT yet another machine of that size (another one). It would be #3, and I really should replace one of these with a 12" or so swing at least.

In fact, I already bought a FAR worse condition machine than that..... You ought to know by now that condition doesn't scare me....within limits..... I'd be pretty sure very few of you have bought as nasty a machine as the "swamp 608".

Nope, I just can't figure out the "great condition"..... either the guy is clueless entirely, OR he figures to ram the description down the buyer's throat to avoid further attempts to get the price down.

As for "apples and oranges".... not so fast.... Sorry...not buyin it.... The lathe works, the car works. Both have damage to a prominent portion of the structure.... Both have missing pieces that are actually important, although they both function without those pieces.

NEITHER CAN BE ACCURATELY DESCRIBED AS "GREAT CONDITION".....
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I'd actually just find a used compound casting on ebay for $20 and forget all about it.
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                  I'd actually just find a used compound casting on ebay for $20 and forget all about it.
                  20 bucks?

Good if you can do it.... Never looked for one of those, but for some otehr machines they run higher.....

Clearly the repair is to replace the compound (or not use one, per JS...... who has a point about solidity, and it ain't just on top of his head...)

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

First thing I noticed was the new looking dials. Maybe it took a fall while moving.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      20 bucks?

Good if you can do it.... Never looked for one of those, but for some otehr machines they run higher.....)
                      "Some other machines"???? - just about every other machine! I saw one for a AA craftsman for $20 recently but most are a LOT more than that.
                      Last edited by jep24601; 09-16-2012, 09:33 PM.
                      "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Originally posted by jep24601 View Post
                        "Some other machines"???? - just about every other machine! I saw one for a AA craftsman for $20 recently but most are a LLT more than that.
                        Yeah... anywhere from $75 to $200, depending on how rare the seller thinks it is, and what they think they can get... i.e. the highest price they ever saw on ebay..

AA? $5......

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/3263119593.html

It's in "great shape", remember.........
                          That one's nice....but I like this "barely used" south bend.

Chuck

Comment

Yea, barely used at all, except for painting practice!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck K View Post

Chuck

Well you can see in the pics it was barely used if ever used, the paint is still on the ways.
                              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck K View Post

Chuck
                                The number of liars and cheats in teh world appears to exceed the number of honest people by a substantial margin............... Does that "individual" really expect anyone to believe his "barely used"?

I guess it only takes ONE person to make his day.......

Comment

Working...
                                X