Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of lathes..... here's a C-L "beauty".... look closely.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of craigslist.

Trade my junk for your nice working stuff? http://appleton.craigslist.org/bar/3279761486.html
    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      ............... Does that "individual" really expect anyone to believe his "barely used"?
      The ad does not say barely used, it says very little use. Judging by the condition of the accessories, I could believe that. The paint job is unfortunate.

Take a look at the accessories included, micrometers, granite surface plate, dial indicator, metal stock shop texts and more. It sounds like a good start to outfitting a shop. Once again, if you are looking for a lathe and this one fits your needs and budget, you would be foolish not to take a look at it.

Both of these ads differ from the usual CL ads in that they include enough good photos to get a good idea of what the machine looks like and enough of a description to get an idea of what is included. A couple of optimistic words in the description should not discourage the potential buyer.

By the way, does anyone know what the two round items are in the box on the right side of the first photo?
      Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
        The ad does not say barely used, it says very little use. Judging by the condition of the accessories, I could believe that. The paint job is unfortunate.
        Maybe..... agree there are goodies with it.

I think it was beat in regular use, then this guy re-painted it right over a lot of the dirt, AFTER WHICH it was used very little............
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Because he painted the carriage to the ways so he couldn't use it.
          Andy

Comment

The ad says it came from a school, which I do believe by the number and condition of the accessories. This being the case, little use is also believable. The paint again is unfortunate, but the photos show no obvious damage or abuse.

There seem to be a few folks on this and other sites who take some sort of pleasure from prowling eBay and C/L ads for "ads from dummies" to post for some reason. Granted there are lots of them with descriptions that are vague and poor cell phone photos that leave the potential customer hard pressed to decide if they are of a lathe or a '64 Econoline van. Neither of these fall into that category by miles, if flylo had dragged either of these home and posted here, he would have earned several you sucks.

The prospective machine tool buyer should make up a list of what he is looking for and set a realistic budget. He should also get an education of what to look for and how to do a quick assesment of his intended purchase. He should also be prepared to make a reasonable counter offer and back it up with cash right now.

As with any purchase, the ad copy will be optimistic, you wouldn't expect the seller to state his wares are a bunch of worn out crap. Cruise the ads with an open mind, look past the hasty paint jobs or accumulated dirt, look only for hard facts in the text, just as you would if looking for a used car. You can also expect, just as you would with a used car from a private seller, that some additional expense will be required for the purchase to meet your standards, this is all part of the cost of aquisition.
            Jim H.

Comment

There seem to be a few folks on this and other sites who take some sort of pleasure from prowling eBay and C/L ads for "ads from dummies" to post for some reason.
              Ouch!!
              "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

There seem to be a few folks on this and other sites who take some sort of pleasure from prowling eBay and C/L ads for "ads from dummies" to post for some reason. ...................
                As with any purchase, the ad copy will be optimistic, you wouldn't expect the seller to state his wares are a bunch of worn out crap. ................. You can also expect, just as you would with a used car from a private seller, that some additional expense will be required for the purchase to meet your standards, this is all part of the cost of aquisition.
                Hardly...............

I regularly "cruise the ads" purely for my own purposes, but felt that this "Great condition" description was a bit much for a machine with large pieces broken off.
                Your opinions clearly differ, and I suppose that difference is what keeps things interesting.....

As for optimistic copy, I feel that is a form of lying..... and that persons who do that are liars. When I post an ad on CL, I make certain to mention ANY actual faults, such as "compound broken and partly repaired", which would have been appropriate here. At least the guy put in a picture..... it would have ticked me bigtime to drive some distance to see a machine and find large pieces broken off of a machine described as being "in great condition".

I have several times REFUSED TO SELL a machine to a potential customer when I can see that they will expect more from it than it can deliver.

That, to me, is basic honesty, which apparently others neither subscribe to, expect, nor even value. Those people may do as they choose.... as it is written, "they have their reward".
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                X