Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a mill vise like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170882180500...84.m1423.l2649
    I have some large mill tables & just wondered how these would work. Thanks! Eric

I was using one a few days ago - an older USA made version (I think...). I can't get the clamping forces I get with the Kurt vices, and it does tend to lift a little, but... sometimes it's all that will let the part fit.

Alternatively.. if you have a couple of decent surfaces, this:

Last edited by lakeside53; 09-18-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

this style is useful for certain set ups, action is downward so it locks things solidly.

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/170882180500...84.m1423.l2649
        I have some large mill tables & just wondered how these would work. Thanks! Eric
        I recently got one, but I haven't had a reason to use it yet. Most of the parts that I make will fit in one of my Kurt vises, so I got the table vise for emergency's. Mine has 4 set screws that are angled down towards the table behind each jaw. I would assume this is so I can give the jaw a little nudge at the top so parts will want to stay down, although with the jaw opened, this wouldn't work very well.

Mine was made by Universal Vise and Tool, which is no longer in business it seems.

Comment

I use a derivative on a shaper like so ...

Regards,

Danny
          ---------------------------
          Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, ....... When you propose a solution for someone's problem,
          wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht. ....... you will be ridiculed for years.
          Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, ....... When the discovery is finally understood,
          so nennt sie jeder selbstverstÙ†ndlich. ....... everyone will say it is obvious.
          -- Wilhelm Busch --

Comment

Ive used those on shapers in the past and as already stated, theyre very handy when you have very little "head room."
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm not sure of the qualty of the chinese one in my 1st post. I think I'll look for something better.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm not sure of the qualty of the chinese one in my 1st post. I think I'll look for something better.

Agreed.

Just make sure you have a fixed jaw that holds perpendicularity, and and a movable jaw that clamps the workpiece down on the table.

If both jaws can swivel to clamp down on the table, you can never work to right angles. Only parallelism!

Cheap jaws will warp so your workpiece will move upwards from the table, so you need to hammer it back down. 8-[ ]

With all the incurred inaccuracies.

Regards,

Danny
                ---------------------------
                Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, ....... When you propose a solution for someone's problem,
                wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht. ....... you will be ridiculed for years.
                Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, ....... When the discovery is finally understood,
                so nennt sie jeder selbstverstÙ†ndlich. ....... everyone will say it is obvious.
                -- Wilhelm Busch --

Comment

I made mine, and it's handy..... I don't use it as much now that I put a swivel base on another vise, but it works nicely.

on mine I leave the front screws slightly loose as I set it up, then pull them down tight. But mine has 2 screws in line instead of two across.... and teh "pusher jaw" is separate from the "moving jaw" I can tighten the back and later the front, for a pull-down action. (Mill has one slot down the middle)

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

They are handy for the times that nothing else will do. One thing should be kept in mind though and that is that they can impose a bending stress on the mill table, particularly when used on a long part that spans the saddle. I would still use hold downs when possible and not leave a part clamped in the two piece vise for any longer than needed for machining.
                    Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                    X