Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronics query for the gurus: Making a voltage pulse a bit longer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aboard - after re-reading his OP it's designed to operate a different solenoid all together, so a good thought we had but most likely all the lube in the world might not make it happen,
    However, if I heard it "attempting" I might lighten up on it's return spring as I stated earlier, and some lube of course - if that didn't work Id take a look at the replacement solenoid at the dealer to check for possible easy retro-fitting...

question for the electronics guru's - what do you do when you modify something of this nature - do you build a little separate box for the new guts under the dash? or do you just tape the new components into the existing wiring and "let it hang"?
    Or maybe you stuff it into the existing module?

Comment

Local grounds used to be quite common, but I have been dealing with automotive solenoid applications for the last thirteen years now and in all that time have not seen a single use of a local ground. With the increasing, and sometimes unnecessary, sophistication of the modern vehicle control modules, there are too many uncontrollable variables present in local grounds.
      Perhaps. I've never seen logic prevent some engineers from doing extremely stupid things. My '88 Ford Ranger has (had) a crash switch that turns off the fuel pump if it senses too much shock. For years the truck would stop running or refuse to start for no apparent reason. It rarely happened, perhaps a few times per year. I finally found the solution after years of looking intermittently.

For reasons that make absolutely no sense at all the switch is (was) mounted on the firewall on the passenger side exactly where a passenger with long legs (wife) might once in a while accidentally kick it, especially when leaving the vehicle. Upon return, no start. Of course it never happened when I was by myself.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
        ...question for the electronics guru's - what do you do when you modify something of this nature - do you build a little separate box for the new guts under the dash? or do you just tape the new components into the existing wiring and "let it hang"?
        Or maybe you stuff it into the existing module?
        During the development of the Ford Focus there was some conflicting information given to us by Ford that resulted in a signal polarity incompatibility. On when should be off, off when should be on. Fortunately, the harness had both 12V and Ground available along with the signal. They needed a patch so they could drive their prototype cars while the problem was resolved. I designed and built up a bunch, 30 or so, of harnesses with connectors and a box containing a transistor and a couple of resistors for inverting the signal. The patch plugged between the vehicle harness and our solenoid-operated device. When the fix was accomplished, they unplugged my patch and plugged the vehicle harness directly into our device.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
        X