Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those lasercut ring gears (and Bilz tap collets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those lasercut ring gears (and Bilz tap collets)

Following on from an earlier thread where laser cutting quality was discussed, I've got the flywheel ready now for reloading onto the boat & fitting to the engine.

Little video of machining the flywheel:-

I've never uploaded video before, so apologies if it's not ideal.
    The flywheel was held with a drawbar onto an arbor in the lathe spindle, with the tailstock pressed against it as an insurance policy. Started at about 20 rpm, going up to nearer 30 for the final cuts.
    It's held that way round because the flywheel register for the crankshaft flange needs to be against the arbor in the lathe spindle.

I turned the flywheel to be a couple of thou smaller than the nominal internal dia of the three rings, they then just needed warming slightly before they would tap easily into place. Then bolted the internal offcut from one of the laser cut 25mm thick rings to the flywheel (might be the only useful thing to come from that excercise!) so as to hold a mag drill securely. The laser people had etched marks for 15 holes to be drilled (they actually cut one hole, to be used as a register). So then, with the mag drill, made tapping holes right through into the flywheel, then clearance through the rings. Then tapped the holes (this is where the Bilz collet came in),

then finally countersunk all the holes before screwing everything together:-

6" rule for scale.

I wanted plenty of screws to ensure there was no risk of the outermost ring gear distorting under load, especially if (shouldn't happen in theory) the starter motor came onto full power before it was fully engaged.

There is some very slight inconsistency in the teeth from one ring to the next, but I'm sure it's not enough to cause any problems with the application.

Tim
    Last edited by Timleech; 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM.

The video works fine and it looks just like machining cast iron. Nice work too. Those mag drills can sure be handy. I used one a lot many moons ago when I had a short stint as a fitter building barges for the MacKenzie River. Quit that job before I got killed. Most dangerous place I ever worked.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Yup,
      Mag drill is very handy.
      I put mine on the forks of the fork lift truck, makes an ace redneck radial arm drill, only limitation is the parked cars in ASDA [ Wallmart ] car park and the length of the extension cables.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Comment

Blimey Tim, your workspace is more untidy than mine!

Richard

Comment

*coffeespew* @marcona

Comment

Originally posted by RLWP View Post
              Blimey Tim, your workspace is more untidy than mine!

Richard
              Workspace?

That's my car parking space!!

As for the video, I was just messing with the camera while the lathe was doing its stuff.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech View Post
                Workspace?

That's my car parking space!!

Tim
                Had to smile at the original post, even went back to look at the pictures but no shot of Tim's shop.
                Nearly took a picture stood at the door on Monday when I was up there delivering the rings but not good form.
                I say stood at the door as that's as far as I could get. At least two people can stand in my shop at the moment.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

At least two people can stand in my shop at the moment.
                  Not in mine.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                  X