X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo: Suit and Tie Lathe Work

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Neat pic!

I'm either slow minded or not doing something right,how do you get your pics to open with the post?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

use the img tags instead of url tags.

Comment

wierdscience, click on the "edit/delete message" icon above the photo. You will see the "img" tags on each side of the URL. The first tag should be directly in front of the "http" it is offset in the box for some reason.
        THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

I'm sure they are just posing for pictures but could you imagine getting your tie spun around your work, ouch. uncrichie...

Comment

I always work a dinner jacket myself. Sets a nive appearance for visitors especial when your square-backs are trimmed wtih ermine.

Comment

The Woodward Governor Company had a strict rule for machinists and employees of wearing a tie or bowtie on the job at all times. This was started from the impetus of the company. This rule held through the mid and even late 1980's, and probably the mid 1990's. Each manager wore a shop coat much to the like of a light weight suit coat, and machinists wore gray shop coats of the same variety. There was a strict "No jeans" rule. Most of us wore poly pants, or something akin to a good quality blue dickies pant. Also nice shirts.

The idea behind this was "look good, and quality is high. Look like garbage, and quality follows". Something like this. We were all also required to have bi-weekly haircuts and keep hair to a set length of over the ears and off the collar. Standard look today. No beards.

We were also required to keep an imaculate shop. The shop shut down one week each summer but for very hot jobs for a full cleaning and re-painting of machines and work areas. Each day had 30 minute clean-up, and one would be written up for a messy work area.

We made excellant quality product!!!! The company was proud of its people and never hesitated to bring potential product buyers through the shop.

Look back, and looking where I have worked since, this has all made sense. I have worked in some hell holes, and some rel strict clean shops. Quality tends to follow general personal habits in ones work area all said and done, and vendors, contractors, and buyers tend to look more favorable to a clean shop with well grommed personnel. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

My father worked Woodward for 35 years, and never had a day without a tie. He wore clip on long ties, and a suit coat with the company logo on it. He was very proud of his company. I worked Woodward through High School (recruits), and after HS in their training program, and after than for four years. I tend to teach their personal habits to my students, clean work area, clean appearance on the job, clean and well maintained machinery, and believe it or not, quality follows. 17 years I can attest to this. I am not talking suit coat and such, but keeping ones clothes clean, not wearing the loose below the butt pants, and wearing shop apronsand proper footwear, shirts, and such. I myself as a teacher wear bugle boys, and decent shirts, thus setting the expectations.

It works.

I just have to wonder, is this pic from the Rockford Woodward Gov. Shop? looks like some I have seen before.

Thanks for the good memories.
              CCBW, MAH

Comment

Okay,Thanks I got it down now.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I could never stand to work in a filthy shop. American Chopper makes me cringe. If I was Paul Sr. I would be telling my son to get the hell out and stay out. Those guys never seem to listen to the old fart, he asks them to take the time to make sure the tools are put back in place and everything is clean, no coffee cups laying around - every time the show starts it's the same thing all over - pig sty city. No excuse for it. He pays the boys, they should be doing as he has told them over and over until the old fart is blue in the face.

And I don't think Paul Sr. would be a bad guy to work with either, seems like a pretty generous and fair handed man.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

When I went to school, Electronics I, II, III, we learned how to make chassis on the the pan brake and punch press. We were required to wear a tie but we all wore clip on ties so that if it got caught in the drill press it wouldn't suck you head in.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                    X