W B Knight Mill info wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W B Knight Mill info wanted

An elderly friend of mine sold me his machine shop before he passed away. In it, there was a Knight milling machine. Everything is transferred to a new building and I have rehabilitated it with a new 1HP motor and a new 2" belt. I tried to find some info or manual on it. It appears that John Ramming Co, purchased rights to Knight items many decades ago but in the last 5 years went out of business in St. Louis. I read that others with Knight equipment were able to obtain catalogs and manuals on the equipment when needed from that company. The machine is just a bit older than my friend was when he passed away (he was in his mid 80's). So the chances I might find someone with specific information is probably slim. Here is what I need help with or have questions.

I don't seem to see how to easily make the table tilt. It may be stuck. I do not know what speed range to run the machine at, suggestions requested. I know nothing about the head, only it has two hex screws and some sort of collar insert. Right now the collar is .500". The drawer of parts contained two larger sized inserts (0.672in) that looked like they went inside the head at some time, but I sure don't see a way to remove the collar or the head for that matter. I have no milling project planned, but wanted to do some simple drilling this week at first. Oh, yes the handle on the vertical wheel is missing. Ideas on replacement? I see some rust on the dials and this appears to be surface rust. Any ideas on how to remove in order to read the dials for rough work? I will need to get the dial indicator warmed up, I guess. Any help on any of this would be great. The riggers laughed when they saw the equipment but I really think this mill can do some nice work but will need some help at first. Thanks.

Take lots of pics and post them to PhotoBucket then post the link on the forum so we can see what you have.

After a little research found the following:

This may be a pic of your machine

The Ford Museum has the following in the collection:

Knight jigmaster.
    by W. B. Knight Machinery Company.
    St. Louis, Mo. : The Company, [ca.1960].
    Quantity/Description:
    Shelving Location: Trade catalog
    Call Number: P.B. ca. 1960

Knight no. 60 for jig boring and milling.
    St. Louis, Mo. : The Company, [ca.1955].
    Quantity/Description:
    Call Number: P.B. ca. 1955

No. 30 Knight miller.
    St. Louis, Mo. : The Company, [ca.1950].
    Call Number: P.B. ca. 1950

Knight millers catalog 5-45.
    by W.B. Knight Machinery Company.
    Saint Louis, Mo., The Company, 1945.
    Call Number: X.P.B. 1945

Contact them at [email protected] to find out how much they will charge for copies of the material.

Good hunting.
    Last edited by Dr Stan; 09-24-2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

And welcome to the forum. It sound like an interesting mill. There's a sticky on top of the page showing how to link pics.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
      X