Kalamazoo Belt Sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalamazoo Belt Sander

It has been said that there are no dumb questions, bug life has taught me other wise. So here's my question.

On a belt sander, the belts are lined and glued I presume on an angular aspect. I seem t be going through belts at a far greater rate than I should. So the question is, does the orientation of the belt come into the equation, that is upper edge of the lap joint high right on the right hand of the sander, or should it be oriented so that the lap joint is high on the left, again as you face the tool?

I guess that was fairly stupid, but ............
    John B

The belt should be installed so the joint is sliding over the object being sanded, not butting into the edge of the joint, if that makes sense.

Comment

As Sasquatch said, with lap-joint belts, the joint should be trailing across the work. To this end, most belts had a set of directional arrows to indicate how they were to be oriented. Most belts now are diagonally cut but BUTT-Joined using a very thin Mylar splice tape. They can be mounted either way.
      Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Most belts are made with a tapered lap joint, and as sasquatch says, the tapered end on the grit side must be trailing. Those belts usually have an arrow showing the direction of travel.

Apparently other belts are made with a different type of joint and the direction of travel isn't supposed to matter, but I don't think I've come across that type.

(Too slow typing !)
        Last edited by cameron; 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Hi all: Another thing to consider: the age of the belts. I have a bunch that are about 25 years old. New. Ok, Ok, I got them cheap. Anyway, the glue may be dried and breaking there? Good luck, Wayne.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. There aren't any directional arrows on the belts, but I'll double check.
            John B

Comment

Working...
            X