Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel cutters

Subject: Wheel cutters
    In my never ending quest for all things shiny, I find myself in possession of several hundred wheel cutters of all sizes, shapes, and descriptions. This poses several questions.
    1. Is there anyone in the industry still using this type of cutter?
    2. Is there a salvage market or value per pound for high speed steel?
    3. Does anyone have a creative use for said wheel cutters? (Long-range
    targets were one suggestion.)
    4. Is there any logical explanation for one to have such an attraction to
    objects such as these? (This question comes from my wife/typist.)

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this matter.

Several years ago a local steel and scrap dealer bought the contents of a big production facility that was closing. They sold off the HSS tooling to anyboyd who could find something they wanted for $5/lb. What they actually paid for it is anybody's guess...$2/lb?

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

If they are the type of wheel cutter I,m thinking of, they are used by plumbers ,pipe fitters and industrial electricians to cut tubing and pipe up to sked 80. It won,t be to hard to find a buyer. Doug

Comment

Sinbad -
        If you've got any Nye 4B or 5B wheels in there I'd love to hear from you. Been looking for some wheels for my favorite old Barnes No. 5 pipe cutter for a long time. I'm in the sticks, so can't even find a shop to compare dimensions to, let alone find someone who carries them. (4B dim.s are: 1.620 o'all, 0.445 hub opening, 0.485 hub thickness; 5B dim.s are 1.875 o'all, other dim.s the same as 4B.)
        Zim

------------------

Comment

Dumb question.........

"wheel cutters" covers a lot of ground, the ones referred to above are of one type, but I could see a horizontal milling cutter maybe also called a "wheel cutter".

Do these "cutters" have teeth? Or are they smooth?

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Sorry I did not make it clear these are horizonal milling cutters. Size range from slitting saws to large insert type 18 to 24 inch dia.cutters. All are sharp and ground it every imaginable configuration.

Comment

pictures laddie, pictures!

Comment

The camera is at Sony for a tune up. Should be back in a week or two. I plan to pick up the balance of the cutters later today. Will try and borrow a camera for pictures. Thanks

Comment

i agree, before using them for target practice, at least give us a few pics in case someone may want to purchase a few.
                  :-)

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Well I finally got the camera fixed. Pictures of some of the cutters I have are at http://img31.photobucket.com/albums/v94/streetatlas/ . This is a large assortment of mostly HHS some new all sharp. I need help. Suggestions , Ideas and Comments. Thanks

Comment

Lets try this again http://img31.photobucket.com/albums/...s/c1f030c0.jpg Hope it works

Comment

Dang, ya got a few side milling cutters there or what!

In response to your original questions:
                        1. Yes.
                        2. Yes, but they have much greater value if used for their intended purpose.
                        3. Make 50 of your best machinist friends very happy. Using as anything but cutters would be a crime.
                        4. Probably not, but most of us are happy to have the same disease. We all know that shiny tools are imperative for proper brain function. I’m afraid that the real explanation might bear a disturbing similarity, to why women have a perverse fascination for collecting footwear, (Very important: never admit this to your wife!)
                        5. My arbor uses 1" hole cutters (in case you were curious).

Comment

You sure wouldn't want to accidently fall onto that rack of sharp edges. I think it would be best for you to dissipate them to all the members of this board, you know, for your personal safety. Hehe
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

If you have any that fit a 1" arbor and will cut a radius (like a ball-end mill would) I'll be happy to give you a few bucks and shipping.

Heck, I'd take a handful if you decide to break up the collection and sell some off.

Doc.
                            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Wow...nice score! I have a (probably old) question about this type of cutter. Which would make the cleanest slots in 6061 alu? Seems to me that the stagger tooth would leave a center ridge in the bottom of the cut while the straight tooth might tend to chatter a bit. I want to cut a bunch of 3/8" deepx 1/8" wide slots in alu similar to cooling fins and wasn't sure which cutter style to use. Thanks.
                              Russ
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X