Quality taps are GREAT!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality taps are GREAT!!!!!!!!

In the middle of a somewhat miserable day, you know, make something to finish something about 5 layers deep, a "revelation" about using quality taps.

Yeh, yeh, I know its been mentioned here any number of times but I am frankly stunned at the difference. Over the course of the last few years I have been slowly accumulating random better quality (?) taps as I have seen them come up on EBay from places where I was making another purchase anyway and yesterday I took the opportunity to use one of them.

7/16ths, NC, spiral taper point w "black steam coating" from TRW...had gone back and reviewed some of the tubalcain taping videos and used a center I turned in the drill press to hold the tap true.
    Well...a drop or two of cutting fluid, little pressure on the handle and just keep turning. A bit more effort because of the style of tap (?, IIRC that has been mentioned too) but instead of little chips and a turn and reverse odyssey, three spirals of swarf pushed out the bottom of the hole. Very clean, smooth sided, straight thread AND that was going through two different types of mystery steel.

If you haven't, BUY and use good quality taps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by RussZHC; 09-27-2012, 08:47 AM.

I love OSC electra lube taps and have never broken one on my CNC mill or lathe. I do look at the edges before I toss the tap in and if chipped they go in the Harold box.

John
    My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohnT View Post
      I love OSC electra lube taps and have never broken one on my CNC mill or lathe. I do look at the edges before I toss the tap in and if chipped they go in the Harold box.

John
      OK, I'll bite. Harold box?
      Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Agreed - when it comes to taps and other tooling, I tend to not look at the price when I go shopping; I go to "real" tool stores, pay the bucks, and enjoy the product.

As hard as it is for me to do this - it was actually my wife who pushed me into the "buy it good and buy it once, enjoy it for the rest of your life" mentality.

Another JohnS

Comment

Plus one on the quality taps. Their a real eye opener the first time you use one. The same idea works for pretty well any cutting tool also. Dies, End mills, Drills, Reamers, carbide, even HSS blanks. There's a huge difference between dirt cheap and what industry would use. Maybe there's the odd good cheap cutting tool out there, but I haven't found it yet, and it's too expensive to keep looking for it.

Pete

Comment

I agree. Quality taps make a world of difference.
            I'm a big fan of the gold EMUGE taps.
            I've tapped thousands of holes both manually and on CNC's with these babies, and they work great.

Comment

Taps probably demonstrate the difference good quality makes more than any other cutting tool, especially for hand tapping. It is difficult to overstate the difference it makes. They are worth every dollar they cost. If you don't have any buy just one 1/4-20 and find out for your self. Then make room in your budget for some more of the common sizes.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
              X