Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSWizard - Like G-Wizard but Free?

Anyone tried this/using this?
    It's pretty new I think, first release was earlier this month.

http://zero-divide.net/index.php?page=FrontPage

Opinions?

Looks very interesting Peter.
    I tried G Wizard but could never get it to run and the installation of Adobe air generally knackered half the computer up.
    I like the idea of stand alone programs, ALL of my CNC machines are never connected to a network.

Will download it and give it a whirl, thanks for the heads up.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Anyone else having problems with the installer for FSWizard - it fails with a message about corrupted files and/or viruses for me.
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by willmac View Post
        Anyone else having problems with the installer for FSWizard - it fails with a message about corrupted files and/or viruses for me.
        Yeah, did that to me until I actually read the warning message
        - click 'Yes' and it will install just fine.

Comment

The initial (limited but paid for) version worked all be it a bit "clunkily" but installing the upgrade was a disaster.

I removed it from my computer and I just ignore any messages about it.

I find that I can get by quite well without it as I just get and use my machine settings as I always have - Machinery's Hand Book, various other references and plain old "experience" and "feel" - and common sense.

My shop is small as are my machines etc. and I just "potter around" to get what I want as I have plenty of time.

"Tear-ar$ing" and "production" (and its derivatives) are neither understood nor spoken here.

I dare-say the "Wizard" will be of reall and continuing use to any/those that need and use it.

I do like what I see on the FS-Wizard web page as it really does seem address a real need for a lot of people here.

But having said that, I will down-load it if I like some of the reviews of/for it from people here.
          Last edited by oldtiffie; 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

......so........Gee Whiz, its a turd?

Comment

I doubt it as I hold the author/developer of it in high regard.

Perhaps its me or my machine or an Adobe application. But given that I and my computer and Adobe just do not "get on/along" - at all. It trashed my machine twice but the biggest problem was getting rid of all traces of Adabe - it seemed to be in all sorts of nooks and crannies.

Just to be safe and to see that Adobe did not survive a re-format of my disk, I trashed (under the hydraulic press) and "binned" the disc and started with a new one - no problems since with Adobe.

I had similar problems with Symantec - same solutions too!!

So once out its staying out and as G-Wizard required Abobe - G-Wizard is staying out as well.

Comment

Hello, guys.
                I am the author of FSWizard software.

So anyone tried it yet and has any complaints/suggestions?
                I have lots of experience milling stuff and could help should qestions arise
                FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

Is there a version that will run on Ubuntu 10.04 without a network connection?

John
                  My Web Site

Comment

I tried it online. The first post said like Gwizard but free. I have to disagree with that. Your program only does feed and speed and I am not fond of the screen set.
                    Gwizard does fedds and speed but also has a geometry section, a threads section, a calculator and quick reference. You can also set up several machines.

Comment

BigJohnT,

Nope. Online or Windows-only right now.
                      Your control runs Linux?

Dave S,

I dont like when people compare my software to G-Wizard. Because i am pretty sure the way tool models are built are very different.
                      With FSWizard you can calculate VERY accurate speeds/feeds pretty much for any tool you want.
                      Even T-slot cutters, High-Feed Mills, i've even seen someone using it to calculate a boring bar, even though its not yet in the Tool List

Online version was mainly meant as a one place where all calculations are stored. And can be accessed from anywhere.
                      Standalone does not need internet and is for those who want faster response.

Did you try it?
                      Might like it more. Especially in the future as i have lots of stuff in the pipeline.
                      Last edited by Zero_Divide; 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero_Divide View Post
                        BigJohnT,

Nope. Online or Windows-only right now.
                        Your control runs Linux?
                        Yep, mine and thousands like me that run LinuxCNC...

John
                        My Web Site

Comment

The guy who created LinuxCNC asked me if i could share the code with him so he could use it for his free control software.
                          At some point i wil do it. Maybe then he can convert it to linux code as i have no clue about programming for that platform.

Comment

Python or C and GTk seems to work everywhere. What did you program it in?

The guts is just formulas so that is universal.

I actually started one that is embedded in LinuxCNC but migrated off to making a whole new GUI for LinuxCNC with it built in.

John
                            My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by Zero_Divide View Post
                              The guy who created LinuxCNC asked me if i could share the code with him so he could use it for his free control software.
                              The NIST asked you to do that? That's wild!

LinuxCNC History

John
                              My Web Site

Comment

Working...
                              X