No announcement yet.

Ot- !!!!!!!!!!stink bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ot- !!!!!!!!!!stink bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like in just the past couple of days, they have swarmed our area. We had them last year, and dealt with them as best we could.

So my question is, what pesticide will kill them, and what kind of trap can be made to let them in without an exit?

I've sprayed "permethrin" around my windows and doors on the outside. It seems to reduce the number of them hanging around waiting for a rush inside, but I've never seem where it actually killed them.

I have noticed a very increased number of these stink bugs around my areas as well within the last few days. All of a sudden they seem everywhere!

Andy

Comment

I have seen a bunch of them here as well but I can't smell them. Several years ago it was lady bugs, thousands of them.

Comment

Right now, south of you we're seeing a mass invasion of box elder bugs.
        Apparently they are drawn to the warm, light colored siding on the house. They don't seem to be interested in the shady side.

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post
          So my question is, what pesticide will kill them, and what kind of trap can be made to let them in without an exit?
          Traps are easy. For the ones that get inside I use a small Gatorade bottle with a couple inches of water and a squirt of dish soap. Hold the bottle under them, give them a bump and they fall right in and drown, make sure you put the cap on after they are in.

At night the same concept works but you put a light under the bottle thusly : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKc5acECuQk

Steve

Comment

The big box stores and probably other places like Tractor Supply or your local farm or feed dealer will have traps and probably sell chemical controls that don't require a pesticide license.
            Your profile doesn't list a location.
            See: http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsh...ated-stink-bug
            and: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/c.../stinkbugs.htm

Comment

Oh! Those stink bugs!! I always make sure to cover my nose so I couldn’t smell them.
              if you can't take criticism, do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post

http://www.bugspray.com/article/stinkbug.html

Comment

It stuff like that that make me glad to live north. However, in the last decade we have noticed various odd bugs that we haven't seen before. They must be migrating north as the winters become milder. That's what is partly responsible for the severe pine beetle kill problem. It isn't cold enough in winter to kill them as it used to do. They have eaten themselves out of this area with 95% pine kill and are now migrating across the Rockies.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The best non-chemical method to rid yourself of stink bugs is frogs and turtles.

Comment

Talstar P,good stuff for all sorts of bugs and spiders.Does the job and when used outdoors sunlight breaks it doqn in about 60-80 days.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ta...-one-p-97.html
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have seen a bunch of them here as well but I can't smell them.
                        They only stink if you smoosh them. I just ignore them. Live and let live...

Tom
                        Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Originally posted by bob_s View Post
                          The best non-chemical method to rid yourself of stink bugs is frogs and turtles.
                          Somehow duct taping a turtle to a broom handle so I can hold it up next to the stink bug just seems like way too much trouble.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                            Somehow duct taping a turtle to a broom handle so I can hold it up next to the stink bug just seems like way too much trouble.

Steve
                            Duct tape is only necessary if you want to attach frogs to broom handles. Turtles are more easily attached with bailing wire.

Comment

Have any marigold flowers handy? You can soak the blooms (even past-due ones) in water and make a potent bug repellent.
                              "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

Working...
                              X