ER-32 Collet Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ER-32 Collet Chuck

Using my adjust true 6-Jaw Chuck works so well that I have tended away from hard mounted chucks. Recently I wanted to mount an ER-32 Collet Chuck on a D1-3 back plate. It has been a while since I have done a shrink fit. It turned out rather well.

To check the results, this ER-16 provided the ground surface of its shank to run the DTI on. The needle hardly moves. After a long run of UH-OH’s it is nice for something to turn out this good.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Great job; gotta love those ER chucks!

On a lathe of that size you need at least an ER40 though. After having ER32 on my little lathe for a couple yrs., I would've gone ER40 if I had the chance.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Well both ER-32 and ER-40 were ordered at the same time but there was only one back plate and the ER-40 collets have not arrived.
      Byron Boucher
      Burnet, TX

Comment

Be aware that the suggested torque values for ER 32 collets is 100 ft. lbs and the 40's is 130 ft lbs. So don't be shy, reef away on that wrench if you want to be sure your work will not slip.
        James Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by jkilroy View Post
          Be aware that the suggested torque values for ER 32 collets is 100 ft. lbs and the 40's is 130 ft lbs. So don't be shy, reef away on that wrench if you want to be sure your work will not slip.
          I have found it isnt always necessary to tighten them to 100 ft lbs, it depends on the material and the depth of the cut .

I recently purchased a few second hand ER collet chucks and collets nearly all had been tightened by some gorilla , there were pull studs broken from over tightening.

If a part looks like it has moved slightly I will nip them up a little and then decrease the depth of the cut.

Better than spending hours remaking a part od worse replacing tooling on a weekend or late at night when no supplier is open.
          Michael

Comment

Working...
          X