HSS Drill Blanks vs M-2 HSS Tool Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS Drill Blanks vs M-2 HSS Tool Bits

What differences, if any, are there between HSS drill blanks and HSS round tool bit blanks?

I have yet to come across a material specification for an HSS drill blank. The data on
    commonly available HSS tool bit blanks typically describe these as M-2 material.

For fabricating home shop tools for turning, boring & ect , does one serve any better
    than the other?

Hi,

Just from my own experience, drill blanks are M2. Round lathe tools can be had with or without cobalt, M2 or better. I don't find much difference in practical use.

dalee
    Last edited by dalee100; 10-13-2012, 11:48 PM.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

M-2 is a pretty general grade, there are a lot of ways to improve that...just today I found drill blanks w cobalt (though no percentage was given) but not in a lot of size choice. For me there is little practical difference.
      Right now MSC, round tool bits, you are looking at SECO (M-45 ?), Enco has M-2...sometimes its almost easier finding carbide rounds. If you really need them, and who doesn't, M42 drill blanks 36" long can be found.

Comment

It always happens.

Before posting, each search for Drill Rod brought up entries that had no material mentioned.
        After posting, every one mentioned M-2 and some M-42.

The neighborhood outlet of a metal supermarket chain is holding out O-1 rod as 'Drill Rod'
        when what I am looking for is a round version of the square HSS blanks I have used in the
        past.

I'll check at other metal sources for lengths of round HSS. Industrial tool & hardware vendors
        might be able to supply drill bit blanks - as long as these are M-2 HSS, they'll suit my purposes.
        Otherwise, there are on-line sources such as those mentioned by RussZHC.

As for M-42 with its higher Cobalt content. As an HSMer, I don't 'need' the benefits offered by
        the increased Cobalt so I'd just as soon stick with the basic grade and eliminate or minimize the
        Cobalt dust arising from shaping & use.

BTW - my searches suggest that the Cobalt content of drill bits is announced by the HHS grade.
        M-35 is said to have 5% Cobalt, M-42 to have 8%. (M-2 has none.) Inhalation of Cobalt fume
        and dust is a bad thing.

Thank to all for the replies.

Comment

Something like this maybe.

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/cat...gory_id/15887/
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Hi,

Oh I think we had a difference of terminology. In your original post you asked about drill blanks, which are generally M2 HSS. It seems you asked a local supplier about drill rod, which can commonly also refer to the simpler O-1, W-1, or even A2 tool steels. This may have led to some confusion between the two of you.

dalee
            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Working...
            X