This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Gantry

I built a small 6 ton shop gantry to help moving things around when needed and I was bored. The legs are adjustable on the beam. The beam was a drop from a construction job so it was free...

Construction photos here

John
    Last edited by BigJohnT; 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM.
    My Web Site

Big John,

Nice job on the gantry crane. I am thinking about building one myself. I already have most of the steel, just need the time and energy.

Thanks for posting it.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohnT View Post
      I built a small 6 ton shop gantry to help moving things around when needed and I was bored. The legs are adjustable on the beam. The beam was a drop from a construction job so it was free...

Construction photos here

John
      Nice! Can I have it?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Very nice work! I'm planning to build a similar gantry, so your pictures are much-appreciated!

A few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Those are great looking casters — what make and size are they, and where did you get them?

2. What size is your beam?

3. Any chance you could post a close-up pic or two of how the beam is clamped/bolted to the uprights?

Thanks for posting this!

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          Nice! Can I have it?
          You can borrow it any time you like...

John
          My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by cegreen View Post
            Very nice work! I'm planning to build a similar gantry, so your pictures are much-appreciated!

A few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Those are great looking casters — what make and size are they, and where did you get them?

3. Any chance you could post a close-up pic or two of how the beam is clamped/bolted to the uprights?

Thanks for posting this!

-Chris
            I got them from McMaster Carr. They are cast iron wheels designed for concrete and roll very easy even with a heavy load like the lathe hanging on it. Part number 2293T31, Desc Brute Caster With 5-1/4" X 7-1/4" Plate, Swivel, 6" X 3" Cast Iron Wheel, 3000# Capacity

I can take care of 2 and 3 this afternoon.

John
            My Web Site

Comment

BigJohn, can you swing by with it in the morning?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nice looking gantry but a little short on stability. Best not to move a gantry crane while it's loaded. That's not a wise maneuver and certainly not the intended purpose. A small screw left on the floor could ruin your day. Lift the load with the gantry then put dollies under the load to move. Of course, you can drive without seat belts, grind without safety glasses, paint without a mask or whatever else you want. I'm just sayin'...

Comment

For some reason I would be a little afraid of that thing bending under a good load so that the ends bend away from the center outwards, as they are standing alone without horisontal support other than the small 45 degree piece at the top.
                  Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Looks good,should work fine up to the rated capacity.Moving stuff with a gantry is much safer if the load is secured to the gantry at the base to eliminate the pendulum effect.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                      BigJohn, can you swing by with it in the morning?
                      Might be a bit of a stretch to make it to Germany in the AM...
                      My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                        Nice looking gantry but a little short on stability. Best not to move a gantry crane while it's loaded. That's not a wise maneuver and certainly not the intended purpose. A small screw left on the floor could ruin your day. Lift the load with the gantry then put dollies under the load to move. Of course, you can drive without seat belts, grind without safety glasses, paint without a mask or whatever else you want. I'm just sayin'...
                        It is extremely stable and safe, put your doubting Thomas away.

John
                        My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                          Looks good,should work fine up to the rated capacity.Moving stuff with a gantry is much safer if the load is secured to the gantry at the base to eliminate the pendulum effect.
                          If I was pulling it with a forklift I might be worried but pushing it by hand... no worries it is very stable and no swinging at all.

John
                          My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                            For some reason I would be a little afraid of that thing bending under a good load so that the ends bend away from the center outwards, as they are standing alone without horisontal support other than the small 45 degree piece at the top.
                            Don't be afraid it is really very strong and rigid.

John
                            My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by cegreen View Post
                              -Chris
                              8 x 6 1/2 28lbs/ft beam.

ran out of time for a photo today...

John
                              My Web Site

Comment

Working...