What glue is best for rubber to metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What glue is best for rubber to metal

I tested some different glues that I had and posted my conclusion in a video. If you have suggestions for a better glue... let me know.

Your videos are just great!! My wife says you should be on the radio or talking books.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Good video.

I think though ..for a better ,more scientific test ..
      1. You should have abraded both the rubber and the aluminium
      2 .You should have wiped the surfaces with isopropyl .

AS ANY GREASE OFF YOUR FINGERS ON EITHER WOULD HAVE MESSED THE RESULTS .

i want to congratulate you on the video though ...that's just the thing that would get you a job if you put a link to it in a a CV.

how many times did you have to do the narration without getting tongue tied .

All the best....markj

Comment

I've used a 2 part rubber adhesive in the past and you can not separate them after the cure time is up. I can't recall the name but after some googlfoo I found it SC2000

John
        My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon View Post
          Good video.

All the best....markj
          That's great feedback! Thanks!

Comment

To avoid being tongue tied and saying a "um" a bunch of times... I chose to narrate during the post video editing. That way I can organize what I want to say and I can do repeated takes for each section until it's as good as I can make it.

Comment

Depends on what sort of rubber to what sort of metal.

Surface prep and cleaning is critical.
              "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

I didn't watch the video all the way through, as I don't have sound here at work. I'll try to remember to watch when I get home.

Do you know what type of rubber it is? I would investigate adhesives for that type.

My story: Trying to glue some AAA battery holders to wood. 5 minute epoxy...no good. RTV Silicone...nope. Turns out the battery holders are made of polypropelene and 3M makes a special adhesive just for it...looks a lot like the tube to the far right in your demonstration, but I forget the number offhand. This stuff works great!

I have no doubt there are just as many different types of rubber as there are plastics. I also have no doubt that no matter what type of rubber it is, 3M makes a glue for it. Look in the 'non-structural' section of their web site.

Good luck!
                Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon View Post

AS ANY GREASE OFF YOUR FINGERS ON EITHER WOULD HAVE MESSED THE RESULTS .

I have to agree with this, I know it makes a big difference when using contact cement with rubber to metal. I also think that the rubber sometimes still has some type of mold release agent on it from manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by panofish View Post
                    If you have suggestions for a better glue... let me know.
                    It's expensive, but I don't think you'll find anything that adheres and holds better than 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealer.

It's a polyurethane with a caulk-like consistency and once it cures (~24 hours), you won't separate the parts without an angle grinder or Sawzall, and even then you'll use up some kiloWatt-hours. It's miserable stuff to undo.
                    Last edited by Krunch; 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Nice job on the video! If you really want more suggestions, I'd like to hear what you think of E-6000. I've used it to glue up custom vibration mounts for a 7 1/2 hp motor, among other things. It has just the right amount of flexibility, adheres well to rubber stoppers and steel and is very strong. In most cases though it is really hard to beat a good polyurethane.
                      Southwest Utah

Comment

The vid was very nice. I am somewhat confused as to your opinion of the winner though. It was
                        totally obvious that the super glue won .. you couldn't even completely separate the rubber from
                        the alum. Why even include it in the test if you had some kind of bias against it ? I have a
                        feeling that .. even if you wouldn't have been able to separate the pieces even a little .. you would
                        have said .. " wow .. worked good here, but I don't trust it so on to the next sample. " And I
                        understand that and somewhat agree.

But I think I would have preferred that you explained your bias and excluded it from the tests, instead
                        of disregarding the results.

Really well done though .. nice job (other than that)
                        John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Sorry about that ... I felt rushed at the end and thought I should clarify my decision, but I guess I was being a bit lazy.

I concluded that the double sided tape holding strength was more than enough.
                          Plus, glue would be the more messy solution... especially if the rubber would need replacement in a few years.
                          I love CA glue, but my experience has shown that "long term" it can be brittle and quickly fail.
                          Especially with the flexibility of the rubber and the range of temperatures... but it probably would have worked just fine.
                          I can pull the double sided tape off if I ever need to.

I like reversible solutions... screws instead of nails sorta thing.

Comment

Fine Job! And nice bike too! Now you got me wanting a Triumph again.

Comment

Am I right in suspecting that the sidestand application keeps the rubber under compression, and there are no tensile forces ? That would explain why you preferred the quick fix of the double sided pad over the stronger cyanoacrylate.

I agree with mark that you should abrade at least the rubber, and especially for the contact adhesive. That's what the bicycle repair man says !

Nice video. I didn't see the camera steady in use, though. Walk round the bike, kneel down as you zoom in on the sidestand ?
                              Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Working...
                              X