New to me Logan 14X30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Logan 14X30

Here are pics of the Logan lathe that followed me home.

According to the dealer it is a one owner machine from an estate sale. The man bought it new and was the sole operator, kinda like buying a one owner Caddy. BTW, it has a 6 jaw Buck that retails for $1200 new and it has both the outside & inside jaws. I also bought a lightly used 12" 4 jaw chuck made in Poland. As soon as I can I'll get a DRO for it and I'll be set for life. When I search for info on this model it turned out to have hardened ways which are in pristine condition.

Here's the description from the dealer's web site:

Logan Lathe By Powermatic 14" x 30" Vari Speed, 7-1/2" Buck 6 Jaw Chuck, Drive Plate, Tool Post, Live Center, 3/4" Drill Chuck, D-1-4 Spindle Mount, 1-5/8" Spindle Through Hole, 5/2.5 hp two speed motor, Model 6562D4H

Looks Great, Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
      As soon as I can I'll get a DRO for it and I'll be set for life.
      I built a couple of Shumatech DRO's a while back and installed one on my mill and still have not installed one on my manual lathe... the web site seems to be down for Shumatech but I see someone on fleabay is selling them and the yahoo page for Shumatech.
      My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohnT View Post
        I built a couple of Shumatech DRO's a while back and installed one on my mill and still have not installed one on my manual lathe... the web site seems to be down for Shumatech but I see someone on fleabay is selling them and the yahoo page for Shumatech.
        Thanks John,

I have not finished researching DROs, but am leaning toward Shooting Star http://www.star-techno.com/. I'll certainly follow-up on your recommendation and take a look at the Shumatech equipment.

Comment

Great catch! Uh YOU SUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post
            Not quite yet...no official tool gloat till we know a price

What is the hand crank right below the quick change gear box? Some sort of belt tensioner?

Bill
            Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by browne92 View Post
              Not quite yet...no official tool gloat till we know a price

What is the hand crank right below the quick change gear box? Some sort of belt tensioner?

Bill

It is the Logan variable speed crank. http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/page4.html

That looks like a sweet machine, Stan - congarats!

Comment

I see you have it chained to the floor so it can't run away and go back to it's previous home.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I'm Happy for you! I wouldn't want to be without my lathe.

Comment

That racing stripe fits you well Dr Stan! I'm sure it makes it cut faster too.

Comment

Logan 14x30 Vari Speed3,595.00 3,595.00T
                      12" 4 Jaw Independent Chuck, Made In Poland 225.00 225.00T
                      South Bend 9x28 qc and Bench600.00 -600.00T
                      South Bend 14.5x36 Q.C. Lathe900.00 -900.00T
                      Atlas 7" Shaper 110 volt600.00 -600.00T
                      Il linois Sales Tax 6.50% 111.80

Cash difference $1,831.80

I also spent just under $300.00 in travel expenses, fuel, motel, and food. BTW, found a really good BBQ in Charleston, IL. smokyshousebbq.com Good food, excellent service and a really cute waitress.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
                        It is the Logan variable speed crank. http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/page4.html

That looks like a sweet machine, Stan - congarats!

Even though I liked my SB's especially since I learned on one at the Navy's Machinery Repairman School Weird Science is correct in that Logans are better machines. More power, variable speed, etc. I'm certain it weighs more than the old 14 1/2 X 48 SB I traded in. This one was built by Powermatic near the end of their run and has a camlock spindle nose, something seriously lacking on my old SB's.

BTW, I bought it from Lost Creek Machine in Ottawa, IL which is in the SW fringe of metro Chicago. Good man to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post

Thank you as I resemble that remark.

Comment

That's a pretty interesting machine, from the "last gasp" era of US made manual lathes.

The surviving manufacturers had transitioned to the more modern "square top" type designs like this one but it was only a matter of time before the combination of lower cost machines from Japan, the transition to CNC and short term oriented management teams drove the existing US manufacturers into the ground.

So you own a piece of history there.

Paul T.
                            www.springtest.com

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT View Post
                              short term oriented management teams drove the existing US manufacturers into the ground.
                              Especially that part, but there was also dumping by Japanese machine tool makers and the refusal of a certain administration in DC to address the activity.

Comment

Working...
                              X