No announcement yet.

OT, But Life Saving - How Do I Move A Wall Mounted Light Fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love 1 and 3. Both need motorizing and servo control. I feel a project coming on.

1. How about a motorized light bulb changer with a flexible handle. If you add attachments for unscrewing those small nuts that hold the glass to the fixtures it would be complete. Oh, and some way of holding the glass on the way down or up. Really, this could be serious.

3. A universal mounting plate for wall mount light fixtures that would allow easier changing. I really love it. Can anybody think of anything to base this on? Some kind of thin Lazy Susan? Add two detentes and use high flex wires. I love it. And it would keep the fixture above the level where it can be hit by people passing by. Much safer.

I was looking at ways to do the decorative cover idea today. But I did not buy anything yet. I need to get her to tell me in writing where she really does want it first.

Again, thanks to all.

Originally posted by elf View Post
    This is an opportunity to show off your metalworking skills by building a light changing tool.

Design #1: Attach a light bulb grabber to the end of a flexible shaft. Hold it in a U shape with an upside down umbrella handle. Attach drill to the other end of the flexible shaft.

Design #2: Build a scissor lift with a large platform (large enough to remove any fear of heights) into the floor under the light.

Design #3: Put a pivot in the base of the light so it can be swung down to light bulb changing level.

Design #4: Mount a steel plate behind the wall. Attach the light to the wall with large magnets. When it's time to change the light bulb, slide it down the wall to light bulb changing level.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

This thread is entertaining, but there is a serious side or two to it as well. One- it would be dangerous to people if they could easily walk into the fixture. That is something to avoid, and your husbandly task is getting your wife to realize this on her own, then tell you she changed her mind about having it so low.

And of course the other serious thing is that you risk becoming like Meatloaf in that song- praying for the end of time so you can get out of the doghouse and back on the couch.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

My thought is to hinge the mount of the light at the bottom so that it swings down making the light upside down so she can change it.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Put a clock outlet in the old hole and lower the light. Or tell her you will remove the fixture for her to change the light.
          A levitation or anti gravity device?

Sorry I couldn’t help more.

Comment

Swag chain. You know, that 70s look.

Comment

Working...
            X