X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Back again.

I think those metric "Stevenson" "1-2-3" blocks are very good value and very well designed and thought out.

I think I can see me ordering two each of the larger and smaller boxed pair sets - and perhaps some of those vee-blocks and perhaps squares too as they "fill a lot of holes" here.

I have quite a few items from ArcEuroTrade (AUT) - inluding some of the other "Stevenson" designed stuff too - and I am very happy with all of them/it.

I realise that the cost to me will be ARU list price plus postage to me here in Australia - but that's the costs I have to pay.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    Oldtiffie, did I read somewhere you had bought some of those 'Stevenson's' blocks? What was the freight to the Big Red Island?
    Thanks Dave, half of me asks why I am even considering such a purchase, I will never get that contract from Rolls Royce and at my skill level I should really be making a set myself!
    AB,

I will answer your posts later in the day.

I don't have those "Stevenson" matched pair "1-2-3" blocks but I think I am going to.

Later.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Thanks Dave, half of me asks why I am even considering such a purchase, I will never get that contract from Rolls Royce and at my skill level I should really be making a set myself!

Leave a comment:

• Davo J
    replied
    Oldtiffie, did I read somewhere you had bought some of those 'Stevenson's' blocks? What was the freight to the Big Red Island?
    Hi John,
    If you got to the site and add them to your cart it will tell you the postage price. You might need to sign up first, but it's free anyway.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Here are the "John Stevenson" blocks from ArcEuroTrade.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...s-Angle-Plates

They are very well priced and seem to have all the benefits required for those that don't like (hate??) the normal "Chinese" ("inch") 1-2-3 blocks - except that John's blocks are (quote) "packing blocks with 8 TAPPED and 8 CLEARANCE holes allowing two or more blocks to be connected together in various configurations such as angle blocks, tee blocks, or used as a fixture to hold small parts for machining" (unquote) (which will appeal to most/all except that they are "metric" - which may upset somein the USA (ie no "inch" version and are tapped M6 and M8 (metric).

But we in Australia are "metric" too - like most of the advanced (and not-so-advanced) countries.

But all that aside it seems to be a very good product (matched pairs too!!) at a very good price.

Who - other than the "inch" people (mainly in the USA) could ask for more?

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
    Would you be so kind as to show your 3/8"-16 waisted bolt installed through a 5/16" clearance hole.
    Can't - as you surmise.

But a "captive" or "waited" 3/8" bolt will.

If bolting the 1" sides together, a 3/8-16" x 2" long bolt with say a 1 1/2" long section btween the head and end was to be turned down to slightly less that the root diameter the bolt would screw through the 1" screwed block with a 1 1/2" long screwed section of the bolt protuding 1/2" - to be screwed into anything the block was to be bolted to. The bolt with its plain section (less then the root diameter) would be retained in and be loose in the 1" block.

Easy.

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter. View Post
    Where is the evidence that the tapped holes were originally intended for clamping blocks together? They could be used for clamping to fixtures, or have buttons fixed to them, or any of a number other uses.
    Where is the evidence they are not intended to clamp together? Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

In fact the preferred units are capable of exactly that, and awareness and expectations of many are aligned with that fact. Additionally, some of us are less disappointed with the blocks than the lack of full disclosure by the vendors regarding what they are capable of. Rather than "binning" a vendor for this and losing an otherwise worthwhile asset, the higher road is to provide useful feedback. Some vendors (John Stevenson, for example) have responded with an acceptable product. That seems like a win.

There is no obvious downside (this admittedly is argument from ignorance on my part, BTW - there may be reasons I'm not aware of) to producing these blocks in such a way that they can be attached to each other and so no reason not to do it.

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    In the course of buying and selling tooling, I have encountered many shop made 1-2-3 blocks. I believe many of them were made as apprentice or school shop projects as their construction encompasses many skills. Machining tool steel, drilling and tapping, heat treating, grinding and lapping to precise tolerances are all required to produce an accurate pair of 1-2-3 blocks. Others, I am sure were made by machinists in their spare time from offcuts or scrap odds and ends around the shop to use idle time on long cuts, etc.

Many of these had some combination of holes, tapped and/or untapped as well as others which were solid or only had one central hole in the large face. This leads me to believe the holes are dictated more by some requirement for training or the whim of the builder than some hard and fast rule that they be capable of being fastened together in some manner. In addition to the 1-2-3 blocks, I have also encountered any number of V-blocks, angle plates, step blocks and other workholding devices that are of original construction that show the skill and imagination of the maker.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter. View Post
    Where is the evidence that the tapped holes were originally intended for clamping blocks together? They could be used for clamping to fixtures, or have buttons fixed to them, or any of a number other uses.
    Hmmm. This is actually true.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
    I've alway just made "captive/waisted" bolts if/as required - couple of minutes work - but I am sorely tempted to drill at least some of the small plane holes out and see how I go.
    Would you be so kind as to show your 3/8"-16 waisted bolt installed through a 5/16" clearance hole.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Sir John I have never heard that one before. My wife wants to know what is so funny. She heard me laughing downstairs. Now how do I explain that one in German!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
    Dennis.

If the 1-2-3 (and larger) blocks are bought new or used in matched pairs they will bolt together - as all of mine do.

I can't see that they are "defective" at all as there seems to be no accepted standard for them and so manufacturers (and there may be many of them) can put the holes where they like, in which case there almost certainly will be differences.

Provided that sizes, flatness and squareness are the same then provided that blocks do not need to be bolted together they are functionally the same.

A quick web scan of suppliers will soon show that matched sets/pairs are readily available.

If I had your "mis-match" problem I'd either "bin" them and get a new (LMS) US$13 - 0.0002" accuracy matched pair and perhaps I'd keep the "mis-match" pair for when I needed 1-2-3 blocks that did not need to be bolted together.
    Don't worry Tiffie you don't need them to bolt together to pose with them.

First you say all yours will bolt together, then you say you uses waisted bolts, then you say you are going to try Small Planes method.

Truth is you are a wanker - pity your dad wasn't.

Leave a comment:

• small.planes
    replied
    Through hardened, and watch out for the swarf it comes of *HOT*

Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X