Does any ever need spacial milling cutters and taps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does any ever need spacial milling cutters and taps

Does any ever need spacial cutters and tappes.
    I know my self I have buy spacial taps and milling cutters. Before 1930 most shop make there spacial cutter and taps. They used a relieving attachement. The last add that I found was from 1930. I have never seen. How want one

Dave

I recently had the need for special cutters but took the easy route and ground HSS flycutters.

Comment

Nice rack!

Comment

I believe the book Gears & Gear Cutting (Workshop Practice Series 17) has the plans to build a fairly simple relieving attachment.

Comment

I've made a couple specialty ones out of broken cutters, and simply relieved with a flat with a grinder. Otherwise, I made a groove-cutter with a HSS bit and used in my flycutter.

Crude, but for a part or three, perfectly functional.

Comment

Sure -- oddball projects, or even not-so-oddball projects, come along that need a special cutter or thread. I've made a couple of weird taps and several specialized cutters from drill rod. They are not as durable as commercial cutters, but since they are generally designed to make only one or two cuts they're fine.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Most look at tools before 1930 like a shaper & planers as great tools. But shops made most of the tooling / cutters. If you ever work some tools you wounder how they did that work. Till you some of the attachment they used. As you drop below a 5/8 thread hole it is hard to thread with out the right tap even 5/8 x 10 tip is hard to do. My self I have found a small well tooled 9" lathe is one best tools in a shop. Even when I lathes and planers that weighed over 20 tons each on the shop floor.

Dave

Comment

I saw spacial cutters and i though it some new fangled quantum cutters operating in another time and dimension. I was waiting for Macona to respond

I've made lots of cutters of the years, milling cutters, gear cutters, broaches and taps. Never once have worried about relief. You simply make the land on the primary relief very very small. I suppose its not ideal, but it works just fine.

There are relieving attachment designs out there if you want to make one the lathe....here's a nice one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ8kyC_bpHs

the Eureka is another well known one.

The project that Charles did, link above, looks like a fun one....but a lot work to solve (what's for me) not much of a problem.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Great video I never seen one like that.
                  Dave

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  I saw spacial cutters and i though it some new fangled quantum cutters operating in another time and dimension. I was waiting for Macona to respond

I've made lots of cutters of the years, milling cutters, gear cutters, broaches and taps. Never once have worried about relief. You simply make the land on the primary relief very very small. I suppose its not ideal, but it works just fine.

There are relieving attachment designs out there if you want to make one the lathe....here's a nice one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ8kyC_bpHs

the Eureka is another well known one.

The project that Charles did, link above, looks like a fun one....but a lot work to solve (what's for me) not much of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunsmithing View Post
                    Great video I never seen one like that.
                    Dave
                    That's the one they show how to make in the gear cutting book.

Comment

Like others, I usually just make a single-point tool with the right profile for milling. Here's one made from a round piece of HSS to make spur gears.
                      Combine, retouch & remix your pics. With Photoshop, everyone can. Sign up for a free trial to access 100s of tutorials, 100GB of storage, Adobe Fonts & more

Combine, retouch & remix your pics. With Photoshop, everyone can. Sign up for a free trial to access 100s of tutorials, 100GB of storage, Adobe Fonts & more

Comment

That looks like a lot of work for just one cutter
                        do you have any drawing from the book

Dave

Originally posted by Forestgnome View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Gunsmithing View Post
                          That looks like a lot of work for just one cutter
                          do you have any drawing from the book

Dave
                          No, but you can buy a copy off Amazon for $12. Worth every penny. I suspect most people who make a relieving cutter do it for the satisfaction of making/having one, like building a steam engine. Pretty cool to watch it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Forestgnome View Post
                            which one specifically? The constructor of the one in video says its similar to others but is his own take on it with some meaningful modifications
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Back when that Ivan Law gear cutting book was written, good multi tooth and properly relieved blade type gear cutting tooling were a lot more expensive than the fairly large dollars they cost today. So while that relieving devise is a lot of work, it allowed people to save a lot of money and build what they might otherwise not be able to afford. It's a very well thought out and clever lathe accessory IMO though. The home built Jacobs gear hobber is a hell of a lot more work.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X