Vise Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vise Identification

Anyone familiar with this old Japanese milling vise and how I should evaluate it? It weighs approx 30 lbs and opens 2 3/4", no handle, $40. It will be for home use on a 7x21 table.

Last edited by martik; 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM. Reason: photos not showing

Martik, that vise appears identical to a 5 inch i found in a guys garage we were/are cleaning out.
    But, where your'e oiler hole is for the handle bushing the one i found has #22 cast into it. Otherwise they are identical.

Comment

I can't read the word after "Tool", but Made in Japan, and New York, New York sounds like Yuasa. Are the socket screws Metric?

I have a Yuasa 4" vise (a copy of the rare Kurt D40 vise), and it's extremely well-made.
      Last edited by lazlo; 10-23-2012, 12:05 PM.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
        Martik, that vise appears identical to a 5 inch i found in a guys garage we were/are cleaning out.
        But, where your'e oiler hole is for the handle bushing the one i found has #22 cast into it. Otherwise they are identical.
        The #22 is an old Brown and Sharpe. Ive got its big brother (#25) as my current shop door prop as it was drilled pretty close to death by a PO who subsequently also used it as a door prop. Think i gave $2 for it at auction. I keep telling myself Im going to weld and regrind a few of the odd vises I have laying around, but it may never happen.

The OPs is an import that was badged under a few names that Ive seen. The tag reads Tool Importers Inc from NY. Ive come across several tools with identical tags and wasnt really impressed by any of it. Id give ~$25 for the vise if you realistically needed one as it sits if nothing major is broken/cracked.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Thanks to Justanengineer. Much appreciated.

Comment

Yes, bolts are metric, I just set it up and it indicates within .001, no perceptible lift, no flex, smooth as silk and it still has scrape marks. Extremely well made IMO, must be a B and S clone. Much nicer than the Chinese Kurt clones. I was concerned about the serrated jaws marking the work but it takes so little force to tighten it doesn't mar the work piece.

Comment

Working...
            X