Torx hold down screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torx hold down screws

My newest boring bar came with a slightly different hold down screw. The enclosed Wiha Flag driver is marked T15P-2 and will not go in the older T15 screws. Any body know what is going on.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

They might need Torx Plus drivers. My understanding is the fastener maufacturers are changing the Torx recess slightly for a better grip(could be wrong).

Comment

And to meet ISO/DIN standards?

I prefer Torx

Comment

http://www.wihatools.com/Marketing/torxspec.htm, might help...?

RANT: sorry to go sideways in a thread, why, WHY do we keep doing this to ourselves? It really begins to look like slight adjustments are just for the sake of change. According to the link "less likely to cam out", "XYZ % more torque possible", "Less fatigue for operator" Don't know about others but if used properly and quality in the first place, I have not cammed out a lot of regular Torx, don't need more torque that I am aware of, way too small screws to fatigue operator.

Comment

I guess that like it or not we just have to "suck it up".

Being upset about or resenting change is not going to change it.

Comment

Um... unless they've also changed the threads, it oughta be pretty simple to replace the screw? (Cheaper than buying a new drive...?)
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

They did something to the 'phillips' screw heads awhile back as well. It's probably just enough different that they wouldn't have to pay for permission to use it. Don't recall- maybe it was Japan that did that.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

They do it just to piss you orft. Another set of tools to buy until the next tooling revolution strikes.

Regards Ian
                You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                  They did something to the 'phillips' screw heads awhile back as well. It's probably just enough different that they wouldn't have to pay for permission to use it. Don't recall- maybe it was Japan that did that.
                  Japan "Philips" have always been different. A good set of JIS screwdrivers is the best fix. Especially if you work on Japanese motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
                    I guess that like it or not we just have to "suck it up".

Being upset about or resenting change is not going to change it.
                    Yeah, and sucking it up is not going to change anything either.
                    Being passive solves nothing.

--Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                      Posidrive, or somesuch nonsense.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Bloody hate Torx. On Harleys and car applications where heat is involved (hot/cold cycles) they can be a bastard. What's wrong with good old Allen heads?
                        mike.

Comment

Not sure where the Poz I Drive originated, but I do know it drives better than a Phillips, but only with the proper bit. I like the Torx system but again, you need the proper size and good quality. The cheap Chinese made bits just don't cut it and will round out either the bit or the screw. Bob.

Comment

And so will Snap-On, Mac Tools, and Proto. I know, 'cos i've done them all in on 1/4" Torx fasteners on HD primary clutch inspection covers. I always suggest to the owners going back to Allen heads on that particular application, even dome head Allens.
                            Mike.

Comment

And so will Snap-On, Mac Tools, and Proto. I know, 'cos i've done them all in on 1/4" Torx fasteners on HD primary clutch inspection covers. I always suggest to the owners going back to Allen heads on that particular application, even dome head Allens.
                              Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X