Steel prices are crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel prices are crazy

I bought some remnants today. Plate and angle is $.55 a pound. Tubing is $.75 a pound. The guy expected at least $.05 higher next week. Maybe I should take up basket weaving.

I think its time you started to go through the dumpsters and recycle the steel that other throw away.

Comment

Mike,

Welcome to global economy.

Actually $.55 is not bad. We were paying more than that a year or two ago for cold rolled round bar in ton quantities.

Soon we can expect shortages of certain metal types, alloys and sizes.

Practically all metals are skyrocketing, I'm surprised the media have not picked up on this issue. It'll be interesting seeing Bush explain this since the consumer goods will be hitting the shelves just about election time with prices reflecting the increased material costs. Let's see him wiggle out of this one by diverting attention with his constitutional amendment nonsense.

Comment

AS if ANY president affects that. it wouldn't change if Clinton came back. That's just economics, with the largest consumer society on earth just opening up.

Wait till they start buying oil.

Gas will be $20 per liter, in the US.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I am not sure about $20 a litre for gas, but my steel cost have gone up a little here and a little there.

Some show said that the American gas prices could be as high as $3.00 a gallon by the end of summer, isn't about what the English pay currently?

Jerry

Comment

I heard a very interesting analysis of the North American economy on the CBC this afternoon. The gentleman they interviewed said that a cycle of inflation and rising interest rates in the near future is all but inevitable. The subject is pretty far out of my bailiwick, but his reasoning seemed sound. A good friend of mine owns a company specializing in stainless steels and high temp alloys, and he told me prices would be going up a couple of months ago. I have a feeling that times are only just starting to get "interesting".

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jfsmith:
              I am not sure about $20 a litre for gas, but my steel cost have gone up a little here and a little there.

Some show said that the American gas prices could be as high as $3.00 a gallon by the end of summer, isn't about what the English pay currently?

Jerry
              </font>
              Well, as I understand it, they pay less than we do for the gas, the rest is taxes.

At the time, they paid $1.12 for the gas plus something over $3 for tax. We paid $1.25 for the gas, plus about $.05 to $.40 in tax, depending on state
              and the local sales tax.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

I read that the Chinese are buying all the steel they can. I guess we'll have to live with high prices for a while.

Comment

To a certain point it doesn't matter what the gas taxes go for, it's the over all cost of having transportation. If the taxes were going in to road improvement, that is one things, but U.S. roads are really terrible. Many states have never finished their freeway repairs that started in the late 50s and early 60s, they finish the highway system and then go back to where they began and start all over again.

Steel and alloys are going up, where is the relief we were promised when the U.S. terrifs were ended?

Jerry

Comment

I wonder if the scrap yards are paying any more for steel...last time I went I think they were giving $0.20 a TON for steel.

Thread Hijack Warning:

$3 a gallon by summer in California...as the Toyota Prius enters its fourth model year and a US car maker has yet to produce a production Hybrid. Seems like a strange deja vu...we're going through an American Muscle Car renaissance with factory superchargers, high winding V8's, and big displacement V10's. SUV's all over the place. And the Japanese are introducing small well engineered cars with excellent fuel economy. Shoot, if I were in diapers I'd think it was 1973. I hope the Japanese open more North American plants to support the global market they're about to dominate...it seems like it took about twenty years to catch up to the Japanese in efficient, affordable, everyday type of cars.

Comment

I was around in 73 and the times before, and I wasn't in diapers. I remember seeing the Chrysler Turbine car first hand, if it was liquid and would burn, this car could use it.

Piston engine technology is actaully more advanced than the cars on the road today. Anyone ever seen the B-36 bombers? They had 27 cyclinder radial engines and was a heavy load lifter type of plane.

The Japanese have looked ahead, instead of brut force SUVs and hi performace cars, they are following the mandates to build a comfortable car what gets great mileage and doesn't pollute as much as similar car.

Instead of introducing a new version of the T-Brid with a big engine, Ford should being working on mileage. GM instead of promoting the Hummers, should be making a car that holds 4 and gets 55 miles (30K per Litre) to the gallon. I no longer care about Chrysler, because they are back to bad business and vehicle that have serious problems, like the Durango.

I am not saying that American companies are bad, but they are giving the consumers what they want; gas guzzlers. The people need to be educated on these things. Chevy has a neat new pickup truck, but they also brought an updated version of the Geo Metro under the Chevy name.

I drive a Toyota, it's comfortable, gets great mileage and doesn't need a lot of servicing. I need a 1/2 ton pickup, which I will find one for the right price, but it will be used for when I need to pickup stuff, not as my everyday vehicle.

Jerry

Comment

JF. We already have high milage econo deathboxes. What the American automotive cosumer wants is an alternative energy full size pickup without the sacrifice of pulling performance.

The first comany that can come up with a fullsize suv/pu hybred/ alternative enegy vehicle will corner the market.

I have moved full sized Bridgeports in the bed of my F150. You can't do that on a minipickup.

Comment

ABN:
                          Yesterday at the end of my tour I stopped in a local watering hole for a few lagers. A friend of mine said that scrap prices are going nuts. He runs an auto repair shop and said that they just paids around $.60 a hundred for cast iron blocks and just under that for scrap sheet metal. The last time I sold any scrap it was around 2-3 cents a hundred for solids and less for dry turnings. Sort of like they just took them off my hands and gave me a few pennies for my time in bringing htem to the yard. It looks like it is time to check this out as I have several engine blocks that are beyond saving that are just parts pieces. If it is true Lukins Steel here I come.

Comment

J Tiers wrote: "AS if ANY president affects that. it wouldn't change if Clinton came back. That's just economics, with the largest consumer society on earth just opening up."

He may not be responsible for the current situation, but he has had a major effect on the manufacturing/fabrication sector in recent times. His steel tariffs designed to prop up our steel industry turned out to be a disaster. According to the editorials in the trade mags the tariffs resulted in major job losses in manufacturing. In short, the tariffs were very ill conceived (by a dimwit).

American prestige abroad is at an all time low. The dollar is at a low. Not to mention the quagmire in Iraq.

All these are factors making conditions in this country less than we'd like them to be. Many of the above are due to the Bushies.

Comment

Oh Neil, HELP!! Here we go again!!

Comment

Working...
                              X