X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much Machining here-Big engine:

The first V8 engine over 1000 Cu. In.

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/e...p-new-for-2012

Must be a hell of an engine lots of authentic billet parts.

I can't see this thing in a car because it's plain too big for anthing but a show car or a tractor pull rig. Maybe in a boat. But who wants the fire hazard and low fuel economy of a gasoline engine when great well-tested diesel engines abound?

Airplane? What's the Llb/hp? Will it qualify for approvals? Looks like it has dual ignition.

Cool project though. Be interesting to follow news of its acceptance and succes
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 10-28-2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

If you build it, they will come! Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
        ...lots of authentic billet parts.
        So what exactly is an "authentic billet part?" Especially in the context of a on-off, hand made item...
        Keith

Comment

Sonny's been fairly successful, but unfortunately many of his claims of being the "first" are rather exaggerated as this one is.
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I expect the first 1000cid V8 was made about 1910.....

Comment

The Sonny's 932ci model has a 5.75 stroke, so this means the pistons are about 5.08".

With bore centers of 5.30, the block for that 932 engine doesn't have a lot of
              meat left in the walls for enlargement.

Increasing the stroke to raise the displacement to 1005ci seems impractical on
              its own, too. With the 5.08 pistons, stroke needs to be 6.20 for 1005ci, quite a
              jump of 0.45" over 5.75 which is already a sizable stroke.

With 5.219 (5-7/32) pistons and a stroke of 5.875, displacement becomes 1005ci.
              Not sure how such pistons would be accomodated in a block based on 5.30 bore
              spacing - I believe 5.125" dia pistons have been pretty much the limit that would
              still accomodate sufficient wall thickness between cylinders.

Whatever the stroke, resulting piston speed means that RPM must be a lot lower
              than one usually associates with a race engine. With 5.75" of stroke, at just
              5,000 RPM, those pistons will travel over 4,790 FPM. That is fast.

(For comparison: 2006 F1 V8's at 18k had piston speeds of about 5,025 FPM,
              Cup engine were just a little slower at 4,875 FPM.)

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                I expect the first 1000cid V8 was made about 1910.....
                But I doubt it cranked out 2150 HP.. A lot of early engines were huge, but ran at very low RPM's compared to modern engines. What rpm was the 2150 measured at? Bob.

Comment

No mention of Dyno RPM, but on his site i posted, the Ft Lbs of torque are posted as 1550.

Think there is a video on his site of it running on the dyno, be interesting to hear it run,, still a "Fine" piece of workmanship.
                  Custom engines like this are kinda the ultimate in maching , as everything is built .

Comment

If you click on Sonny's site i posted,, then look up in the RH corner of his home page and click on "Shop Tour", interesting stuff.

Comment

Reading their web, site Sonny don't claim its the first ever V8 of over 1000 cu in but it is THEIR first. Its an interesting design and manufacturing accomplishment. What market(s) are these engines aimed at?

Comment

Bob, from what i read, it appears these engines will be used for drag racing and truck pulls.

The first engine has already been sold to a drag racer.

Comment

Those are mainly for drag racing where there is an unlimited class with very few engine rules. I haven't checked his site lately but I remember his high HP drag racing motors commanding $70-80,000 a pop.

If you want to run with the big boys be prepared to pay.

As to bore/stroke. It doesn't matter when the block is custom made too. You don't have the limits of some previous manufacturers parts. Just cast, forge your own.

Oh, oh, I just checked. Looks like he has a couple of high end motors for a mere $90,000. Has a nice street version, 1000 HP for $31,000
                          Last edited by dave5605; 10-28-2012, 11:59 PM. Reason: Uplifted motor costs

Comment

He has it listed in his drag racing engines section, so I agree with Dave.
                            In that category you basically only stick with stock parts for budget reasons, you almost always hit strength/size limitations when you step up to the next level, and quite a lot of xyz engines are anything but. And some of the professional teams have serious budgets. Rules say it must be a certain type usually, but clones with adjusted dimensions are accepted by the sanctioning bodies usually.

On my kz engined drag bike, the only stock unmodified part left inside the motor is the camchain.
                            My crankcases & head is heavily modified but on a base of standard kawasaki castings.
                            The guys stateside taking the same base faster again make new crankcases completely from raw material stage (racecase) and run custom made heads. The same applies to harley dragbikes, the final product has no parts left from Harley themselves or any relationship to the bike of the same name apart from the two cylinders and the name on the tank.

Expensive game, and a lot of bespoke machining... Its why Im interested in it

Comment

I see he lists a 75mm dia camshaft, off the top of my head that's close to 1" larger than your garden variety Chevy cam, which means he can get another .500" of cam lift.
                              I don't doubt that he's well over 1" of lift at the valve, which is what it would take to feed 125cu/in per cylinder with 2 valve heads.

Sonny Leonard has been the top dog in big inch motors for many years, wasn't so long ago that 700 inch motors were the big deal, now old hat and garden variety.

I see a couple of his motors list priced at $75,000, +$2500 to add EFI instead of carbs, which is a bargain for a top notch EFI system.

Comment

Working...
                              X