X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aostling
    • Feb 2006

The Big Sandy

If the incoming storm floods the subways, won't that take out most of the utilities for New York City? I waited for a downtown subway at 6 am on a Sunday in August, and took this photo. It looks like there are lots of cables on the roof at this station.

When I lived in Butte, Montana (1978-82) they said there were three thousand miles of tunnels under the hill. Once they let those tunnels flood it was never feasible to pump them out. I hope New York has more of a chance than Butte.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona
  • dp
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aostling View Post
    If the incoming storm floods the subways, won't that take out most of the utilities for New York City? I waited for a downtown subway at 6 am on a Sunday in August, and took this photo. It looks like there are lots of cables on the roof at this station.

When I lived in Butte, Montana (1978-82) they said there were three thousand miles of tunnels under the hill. Once they let those tunnels flood it was never feasible to pump them out. I hope New York has more of a chance than Butte.
    The same problem exists with the now flooded Berkeley Pit. There is no where to put that much polluted water and it is now leaching out into the water table. It really needs to be refilled with dirt.

I recall during the post 911 tower collapse there was a great deal of concern of a wall collapsing that would have allowed the East River to enter the pit and then enter the subway tunnels that were exposed. The result would be every tunnel in Manhattan would have filled with water and likely stayed that way for centuries (my opinion). A 10-hour storm surge could do a lot of damage. Those tunnels carry a lot of power and data, not to mention air circulation systems, escalators, elevators, etc., that would ensure an easy path to the very lowest levels quickly. Down there, there is nowhere else for the water to go, so there it will stay.

It reminds me of this disaster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNo-gEPWVnM

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
      • Apr 2009

The London Underground has doors that can shut off the tunnels, presumably in case the Thames should ever enter the system. Maybe a relic of WWII concerns about German bombs.
      Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• wierdscience
        • Jan 2003

There was a show on just last week,only paid a little attention to it,but this very subject was discussed.

There are flood doors and pumps and IIRC they said worst case if the entire system flooded it would take 30-45 days to pump it out.

Of course the damage to the infrastructure would take longer to fix,but that's the price paid for putting it underground in the firstplace.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• aostling
          • Feb 2006

I found an image on the internet showing damage to a store front which I had photographed on 5 August. Here is 111 South Street, as I saw it on that hot summer day

and here it is on the day after Hurricane Sandy

I know a couple who live two blocks from the boardwalk at Long Beach, NY. They decided to stay instead of evacuate, and they boarded up the windows of their house. I don't see how Home Depot in NYC had enough particle board in stock for everybody who must have wanted to buy it.
          Last edited by aostling; 10-30-2012, 02:42 PM.
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• aostling
            • Feb 2006

This looks like a promising solution to the problem of blocking storm waters from entering the subway tunnels. From
            Engineers financed by the Homeland Security Department are testing a huge inflatable plug to prevent flooding in transit tunnels.

Last edited by aostling; 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM.
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• bborr01
              • Jul 2007

Allan,

That looks like a good solution, as long as the power doesn't go out.

BTW, when I first saw your posting for the "BIG SANDY", I thought you were talking about the Big Sandy Wash up near Kingman. My Arizona property overlooks a big area of the big sandy wash.

Brian
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• aostling
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                Allan,

BTW, when I first saw your posting for the "BIG SANDY", I thought you were talking about the Big Sandy Wash up near Kingman. My Arizona property overlooks a big area of the big sandy wash.
                Brian
                I was thinking of that wash when I chose the title. I regretted my choice afterwards, but glad you know about that place. Your Big Sandy can go from dry to flood in a flash, swallowing up cars or trucks thinking they can get across.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• bborr01
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by aostling View Post
                  I was thinking of that wash when I chose the title. I regretted my choice afterwards, but glad you know about that place. Your Big Sandy can go from dry to flood in a flash, swallowing up cars or trucks thinking they can get across.
                  When it rains hard in monsoon season, the rule is stay back. Way back. A rancher's diesel pickup ended up going in the drink when the bank washed out. Totaled it. The residents of our ranch that live on the other side of the wash tell me they are on a first name basis with the hotel operators in Kingman. They spend a lot of time there during monsoon season.

Brian
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• oil mac
                    • Jun 2007

big doors London Underground

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                    The London Underground has doors that can shut off the tunnels, presumably in case the Thames should ever enter the system. Maybe a relic of WWII concerns about German bombs.
                    Yes Artful that is correct, These big doors were built just at the beginning of the last great war, by the Glenfield &Kennedy Co of Kilmarnock in Scotland , As a precaution in one part of the system where the river Thames could flood the tunnels, They are arranged to be cosed electrically or in the case of loss of power they can be very quickly closed by hand power

These doors i understand withstood a bomb blast on the river side, but held back the blast saving many lives

Comment

• Guido
                      • Apr 2004

It might be cutting it short, considering Herc Sandy's leadtime, but the plugging off of a tunnel has already been researched:

TAM International is an independent oilfield service company providing Inflatable and Swellable Packers, and other downhole products & services to the oil and gas industry.

and, www.baski.com

Could save feds reinventing the wheel, millions since 2007?

--G

Comment

• oldtiffie
                        • Nov 1999

These Thames Barriers (UK) would take some beating.

Comment

Working...
                        X