Rearranging my shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rearranging my shop!

I decided to rearrange my shop. That means moving a 3 ton lathe, a 2 ton horizontal mill, a 1.5 ton universal mill. A 1ton band saw plus all the other equipment and shelving etc., etc..

I feel like a woman. First I put the lathe in one spot. Don't like it there so I move it to a new place. Putting all the big machines in different places just like my wife does with the furniture.

My shop is 10 meters by 20 meters and is on the second floor of our house. I decided to move the machines so they were not directly over thee of our guest rooms. Seems it is quite loud in these rooms when I am hogging metal. The other rooms under are the laundry room a couple of bathrooms and ironing room so they don't matter.

I have been working on this for two days and I am sore in places I didn't know I had. Even though I have the machines all up on blocks and such so I can use a heavy palette wagon. Two on the lathe it is still a lot of work. Tomorrow I will use my excavator to move some things over other things but not anything over 1 ton.

Time to sit in the whirlpool.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

There are a couple of women weightlifters at my gym at I certainly wouldn't mess with...

Speaking as a lazy man: Draw your shop on graph paper. Make scale drawings of your tools. Move them around on paper until you're happy with it. Put the machines there. Never look back!

PROPERLY SUPERVISED high school kids make good machinery movers. Or there might be a labor supplier in your town. I'm a big fan of yuppie food stamps (aka $20 bills) when it comes to something like this.
    Last edited by wawoodman; 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Scale drawing and cardboard cutouts!
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
        My shop is 10 meters by 20 meters and is on the second floor of our house.
        Holy crap! Must be some house. I'd like to see some pictures. Does the second floor have ground level access?
        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
          Holy crap! Must be some house. I'd like to see some pictures. Does the second floor have ground level access?
          Yes it is quite large. And yes I can drive into the shop from one side. My shop was the hay barn that is part of the house. I will look for a picture of how we enter the shop from the outside.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
            Thats what I was thinking, multi-ton equipment that you can just move around at will and tomorrow you will be driving your excavator around up there?

Comment

All he needs to do is organise the efforts of all those Babes he has constantly wandering through his shop
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I can relate and I'm still moving things around after moving the VMC from the garage to the shop the other day.

John
                My Web Site

Comment

Alright who's watering the tree's

Comment

That's my other brother John who helped me move the VMC. I took the photo and almost thought twice about waiting...

John
                    My Web Site

Comment

I'd like to see a few pics of this shop/house set up also.

Comment

Here is a short video of my shop in total disarray! There is still a few bales of hay in the shop because I can't get to them yet to move them out! This was my hay barn and so the walls are not closed. I will hopefully have them closed before the bad weather comes. There is lots of fresh air in there now. Our house is nearly three hundred years old. Built in 1724. The main house has stone walls nearly 1 meter thick. The floor in the shop is built on steel I-beams set at 1 meter intervals and with reinforced concrete in between the I-beams. The floor will hold anything I could possibly put in there.

Last edited by Black Forest; 11-02-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Pretty cool video, I don't feel so bad about being cramped up in 1000 sq ft now. I wonder how many families have lived in that house since it was built?

John
                          My Web Site

Comment

Thanks BF, yup amazing age of buildings compared to Canada's.

Comment

I am having the tile roof replaced soon. The tiles that are on the roof are starting to crumble. I am waiting for bids right now.

We don't know how many families have lived here. We only have the history from the last 150 years. We bought it from a company that sold it because the house required a lot of renovation and they didn't want to invest the money. We bought it and then gutted the interior and rebuilt the complete interior. The house was formally used as a Youth Hostel for 80 years. We bought it from the Youth Hostel company. We have 12 guest rooms and 16 bathrooms. We still host some school classes and groups to give kids a chance to experience life on a horse farm.

Comment

Working...
                              X