• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotplant
    • Aug 2010

wohlhaupter up4 boring and facing head

hi been a while since i posted anything, just been browsing site as usual
    just bought a wohlhaupter up4 boring and facing head off of ebay.
    but i can't find user manual on internet, all the one on there have buttons on the outside of collar, mines has 8 buttons on top of head.
    anyway, my question is, it has a no3 morse tapered shank on it, is this safe to use without a drawbar?? my mill has int40 shank.
    its a nice unit but suspect it to be very old and i'm scared to try it in case i wreck it
    i,ll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

cheers
    Tom..
  • gwilson
    • Feb 2007

Of course it needs a drawbar!! If the current shank has no threads for 1,the owner didn't know what her was doing. That is a very fine make,by the way.

Comment

• scotplant
      • Aug 2010

sorry!! should have added that it has a drawbar thread but i have saw some with morse taper and a tang, may have been smaller ones though!
      is there a morse 3 taper to int40 adaptor with a hole through it that i could make a drawbar to use with the boring head??
      hope that all makes sense to someone
      Tom..

Comment

• jcon
        • Mar 2010

scotplant:

Sometime back I got some parts and manuals from a man or company, the Email address was [email protected]

It is a very good make of tool

Good Luck

Jim
        Last edited by jcon; 11-01-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• .RC.
          • Aug 2004

search here for Wohlhaupter UPA4 it is down the bottom https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=547FE...1&sc=documents
          Precision takes time.

Comment

• Boucher
            • Jul 2005

The shank on most boring heads can be changed. If yours cannot then a straight sleeve can be installed. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=214-8709
            This will work if you can accomodate the 1 1/4" OD
            Byron Boucher
            Burnet, TX

Comment

• Marty J. Roberts

I was at IMTS this year and priced one of those heads and it was over $8000! They must be a whale of a tool! This ol' boy isn't buying one!

Comment

• IanPendle
                • Nov 2010

Hello Tom,

I have an original manual which covers Up1 to UP3. It's a bit grubby, but still legible. If you think that it would be of any use to you, you can have it FOC. I would be happy to post it to you as I'm in the the UK. Let me know if you want it and if so, PM me your address etc.

Regards, Ian.

Comment

• Timleech
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Boucher View Post
                  The shank on most boring heads can be changed. If yours cannot then a straight sleeve can be installed. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=214-8709
                  This will work if you can accomodate the 1 1/4" OD
                  Some of the older Wolhaupters have a fixed shank.

Tim

Comment

• Dennis WA
                    • Aug 2009

Tom...I've sent you an e-mail. I can send you a good pdf copy of:
                    OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR WOHLHAUPTER “ UNIVERSAL BORING
                    AND FACING HEADS Models UPA 4, UPA 4-S5, UPA 5, UPA 5-S6,
                    UPA 6 and UPA 6-S7

Cheers
                    Dennis

Comment

• Timleech
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by scotplant View Post
                      sorry!! should have added that it has a drawbar thread but i have saw some with morse taper and a tang, may have been smaller ones though!
                      is there a morse 3 taper to int40 adaptor with a hole through it that i could make a drawbar to use with the boring head??
                      hope that all makes sense to someone
                      Tom..
                      Here's my UPA3 with fixed 4MT taper, with a 4MT-40 taper pass-through adapter. I made a male/female spigot/pull stud, whatever you want to call it, to match the thread and length to standard 40INT tooling.

Tim

Comment

• .RC.
                        • Aug 2004

Here is my Japanese UPA4 clone

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        Precision takes time.

Comment

• Spin Doctor
                          • Nov 2002

I don't know what the big deal about their being able to bore a taper is. I always managed to do that
                          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

• scotplant
                            • Aug 2010

thanks for all the links etc. unfortunatly all the manuals on the net seem to be for a slightly different type of boring head.
                            i think mines must be quite old! dont know is it has reversing capability or not??

i think that it maybe a no4 morse taper not 3..but it has a 14mm drawbar thread.
                            can you get an adaptor to int 40 with a through hole that is fairly short so i dont have too much overhang out of spindle??
                            Here's my UPA3 with fixed 4MT taper, with a 4MT-40 taper pass-through adapter. I made a male/female spigot/pull stud, whatever you want to call it, to match the thread and length to standard 40INT tooling.
                            whats the spigot like that you made Tim?? could you post some pics??
                            any idea on what this is worth?? its in good condition for its age..
                            thanks again
                            Tom..
                            Last edited by scotplant; 11-02-2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• scotplant
                              • Aug 2010

here are some more pictures of boring head..

[IMG][/IMG]

it doesn't seem to have the feed button mentioned in the other manuals, just a fine adjustment screw in the side.
                              figured out that if i push in 4 pins in the top it will feed out, then push in the other 4 pins the first ones pop back out and the feed reverses, so i dont think it has automatic reverse feed!
                              anybody got one of these old style??
                              Tom.. ps sorry about the size of pictures havent figured that one out yet..

Comment

Working...
                              X