This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Scottish Independence

Scotland are to hold a ballot on whether they should become independent from the rest of the UK. This website: http://www.borderagencyscotland.com/?ind2014 shows what a typical citizenship test might look like - would you qualify?

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

15/16, not too bad for a half-Irish English heathen.

Tim

Comment

Tim,

I did better - I only got 9

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

6/11. And I don't know **** from shineola about scotland.

"In 2006 new trams were announced for Edinburgh. Work started on the 13km line in 2008 with the scheduled trams due to enter service in 2011. When did the first tram enter service?"
        "Correct awnser: not yet"
        That was an easy one that anyone familar with any governments work would know.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

9 was it for me.

Scottish Star Trek-
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEg5NDZ6rnM
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Goes to show what I know --- I thought they were independent...

Comment

11, not very good considering my ancestors left Olde Reekie only 150 years ago.

Comment

I was born about as far south as you can get on mainland Britain. When I went to school in Scotland, they called me a sassenach. When I later went to school in England they called me a Jock.

I feel I earned the right to have a significant say in how these two squabbling countries organise themselves. I feel at home in the cultural warmth of Scotland, while I live in the cultural capital of England. As for the quiz, I feel proud to have no clue about most of the questions.

I am fervently in favour of the union, if it is defined as freedom of movement and residence around Britain. But the way Salmond has just U-turned on Trident does tend to suggest that even if Scotland did gain independence, the victory would be pretty hollow when it comes to deciding affairs of state. All that would happen is a few areas of government would permit more divergent policies, something that could readily be agreed without independence per se.

I think we'd all do better trying to woo the Irish to come back into the fold, perhaps with more of a federal organisation, rather than the London-centric government we have now.
                Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

11/16 and I was born in Alaska and now live in the middle of the USA...

John
                  My Web Site

Comment

1/16

Which proves they should be independent - then piss off.............

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by rohart View Post
                      I think we'd all do better trying to woo the Irish to come back into the fold, perhaps with more of a federal organisation, rather than the London-centric government we have now.
                      Ah, don't bring that up...... Irish do, or should, dislike both "England" and "Scotland"..... It would be better not to bring that into this..... it's far worse than US politics. In the US they haven't really gotten serious about bombings and assassinations yet.

The shade of Grandpa Hanafin assures me that you don't want to go there.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

The voting age for the Scottish independence ballot has been lowered to sixteen. I don't know how this might affect the results, but I'd guess it would make independence more likely.
                        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

All that has to be done is rebuild Harian's wall for the same reason orignally built : "to separate Romans [south] from Barbarians [north]". Oh... and cut the power cables

For those of you who are geographically challenged, Sir John is to the south
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 11-05-2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
                            The voting age for the Scottish independence ballot has been lowered to sixteen. I don't know how this might affect the results, but I'd guess it would make independence more likely.
                            However if they restricted the vote to single parent families then the vote would be an overwhelming success.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by rohart View Post
                              I was born about as far south as you can get on mainland Britain. When I went to school in Scotland, they called me a sassenach. When I later went to school in England they called me a Jock.

I feel I earned the right to have a significant say in how these two squabbling countries organise themselves. I feel at home in the cultural warmth of Scotland, while I live in the cultural capital of England. As for the quiz, I feel proud to have no clue about most of the questions.

I am fervently in favour of the union, if it is defined as freedom of movement and residence around Britain. But the way Salmond has just U-turned on Trident does tend to suggest that even if Scotland did gain independence, the victory would be pretty hollow when it comes to deciding affairs of state. All that would happen is a few areas of government would permit more divergent policies, something that could readily be agreed without independence per se.

I think what Salmond really wanted was the two-question vote, which would almost certainly show a lot of support for 'devo-max' which even he probably realises would be much better for everyone than independence - even though he'd never be likely to admit it publicly.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X