Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need suggestions of how to locate a used or surplus 1/3 - 1/2 HP 115V motor - CHEAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions of how to locate a used or surplus 1/3 - 1/2 HP 115V motor - CHEAP!

I am preparing to make a sharpening station to include a buff and leather strop and will need a motor to drive it. The surplus motors I see are much more expensive than I want to put into it. I am wondering if a junk washing machine or other easily obtained piece of junk might have what I need. I'm ready to do some dumpster diving. Any thoughts guys?

Planeman

Where are you? I have a few on my floor in the garage. I know one is a GE Motor from the 30's or so, most newer.

Comment

First i'd forget about the washing machine motors, look for a double shaft TEFC motor used.

Motor shops, flea markets, friends, stuff like that , you should be able to find one.

Comment

Cuemaker has it right. WHERE are you ? I have a couple in my storage shed too. That is why there is a place to put your location that shows in a post.
        ...lew...

Comment

Garage sales.... $5 to $10, $15 if in super condition, unused.....

And you often get a better motor, construction-wise. if its a bum motor, you are out very little, but I have found that in general, if they spin by hand, they work.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Sale barn on Friday and you can get one for $20-30... make sure you spin it by hand and smell it by the wires for a burnt smell...

John
            My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by planeman View Post
              I am preparing to make a sharpening station to include a buff and leather strop and will need a motor to drive it. The surplus motors I see are much more expensive than I want to put into it. I am wondering if a junk washing machine or other easily obtained piece of junk might have what I need. I'm ready to do some dumpster diving. Any thoughts guys?

Planeman
              big old photo copier machine will have these motors in .

all the best.markj

Comment

+1 on either taking up others on their offers of free....or hitting a few garage sales, fleas, or other local sources. Used motors are cheap and abundant just like used cars. The 1/4 hp Westinghouse on my shaper cost a grand total of $0.50 at a yard sale a few years ago. I didnt want it or need it at the time but it followed me home anyway...

Please post pics of the grinding station when youre done.
                Last edited by justanengineer; 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM.
                "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

If all else fail, try these folks:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Usual disclaimers. No connection other than satisfied customer.
                  Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

I have several & you can have your choice FREE if your close.

Comment

Location, location, location

Comment

I have some free also, but.... no location so you could be anywhere!

Comment

Planeman, is there some reason you don't want to reveal your location? I fail to see any reason for not including your location in your profile. Bob.

Comment

Sorry folks, been busy in the shop.

I am located in Atlanta, GA. unfortunately this appears to be a good way from all of you nice repliers.

Planeman

Comment

Don't give up on the idea of a washing machine motor. I put one on a Sears drill press just to "get by" for a while and thought I would put a real motor on as soon as I found one. That was in 1974 and that old washing machine motor is still going strong. I have lots of motors I could replace it with but at this point I don't know why I would.

Comment

Working...
                              X