A pleasant surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pleasant surprise

My trusty little pallet truck (pump truck) had been leaking oil for a while, last week it finally gave up.
    The time I've spent messing with it since, I could have bought a new Chinese one.
    Anyway, pump seals had gone, totally wrecked. Got it apart, popped into a place I know in Liverpool on Friday, as I was passing the door. New pair of seals, off the shelf. "£10 minimum order". Ok, here's £10. (about $15 US)
    "Need a receipt?" "That'll be £12 then". I only had about £11.50 on me, eventually they agreed to take that and give me a receipt.

Reassemble pump, still no good, so after messing with valves took the ram to bits. Seal had split in two, which explains why it would sometimes work but was getting rapidly worse. Rang the local place (not the Liverpool one) to see what they could do. "They're in a meeting, we'll ring you back".
    I had to chase them next morning, as no call. All very amiable, but eventually "yes we can get one, it'll be 3 days and cost £25" £25, for a little PU lip seal? I said go ahead, as I have an engine stuck in the way on a pallet & can't shift it without the truck. I have two trucks, but the other is a wide one & won't do the job.
    Plan B, did a web search for the seal maker (brand was marked on it). They're in the UK, so I sent them an email explaining what I need, to see whether they could supply a single seal by mail or recommend a local stockist.
    "Let us have your address, we'll put a sample in the post"
    Result! Cancelled the £25 order, with a bit of luck this one might turn up in less than the three days.

Tim

I've had that happen twice, once with new little Stihl chain saw I got and the file size was metric and no one carried that size only bigger inch files so I called the US headquarters (located about 40 miles away) and told them the story and asked if there was a place I could order some files of the proper size. He said he didn't know but give him my address and he would send me a half dozen files. And once with some Rust-Oleum Hammered paint that I could not find any one that stocked that color that I needed to complete a project. After trading some emails with them they mailed me a case for free.

John
    My Web Site

Comment

Good deal! I like companies that do business that way.

John - just noticed you were from Poplar Bluff. I had a friend in college who grew up around there. His parents owned a (the?) dry cleaning shop.

Comment

We give small items away at work regularly,it doesn't cost us as much as ringing up such small sales and it's good PR.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
          Good deal! I like companies that do business that way.

John - just noticed you were from Poplar Bluff. I had a friend in college who grew up around there. His parents owned a (the?) dry cleaning shop.
          The dry cleaning shop in the center of town?

Actually Poplar Bluff is growing quite fast this last decade with 40,000 plus the uncounted county wide.

John
          My Web Site

Comment

Plan C.

Tell the next pallet line driver you have a spare £20 note if he can find you a decent pallet truck.

Works every time.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
              Plan C.

Tell the next pallet line driver you have a spare £20 note if he can find you a decent pallet truck.

Works every time.
              I'll remember that one.

Tim

Comment

New seal arrived today, now fitted & working, I can get back to what I should have been doing on Monday now

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech View Post
                  New seal arrived today, now fitted & working, I can get back to what I should have been doing on Monday now
                  Or you can slack off till next week and still get it done on Monday
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Years ago I was given a very nice hydraulic press that had a bad ram seal. The press was made in Denmark. The hydraulic shop had failed to find a seal and along the way the original seal had been lost, so it was declared scrap and passed along to me. I was sure I could find a seal and I even called Denmark, but no joy. Having need for the press and nothing to lose, I machined one out of polyurethane. That was over twenty years ago and the press works great. The experience taught me that it is very easy and often much faster to make simple lip seals than it is to find and buy them.
                    So the next time you are in a jam you might consider making one, it’s an easy part to make. Good luck, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mf205i View Post
                      Years ago I was given a very nice hydraulic press that had a bad ram seal. The press was made in Denmark. The hydraulic shop had failed to find a seal and along the way the original seal had been lost, so it was declared scrap and passed along to me. I was sure I could find a seal and I even called Denmark, but no joy. Having need for the press and nothing to lose, I machined one out of polyurethane. That was over twenty years ago and the press works great. The experience taught me that it is very easy and often much faster to make simple lip seals than it is to find and buy them.
                      So the next time you are in a jam you might consider making one, it’s an easy part to make. Good luck, Mike

polyurethane..is that the stuff they make buckets out of ..I would have thought the seal would be some sort of rubber .

now then ..how do machine rubber ...freeze it ?

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                      X