Need a trailer to carry 3000 lb Gorton 9J mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a trailer to carry 3000 lb Gorton 9J mill

Hello all, I have become the owner of my first mill, a Gorton 9J.

Now I just have to transport it from Warsaw Ont. to the East end of Toronto.

I have a pickup on loan, and the seller will load it onto a trailer.

I just need a trailer.

Uhaul trailers will take 3000 but in their case, 2000 of that is the trailer itself!

Anybody know someone who might want to lend me a trailer for a case of beer?

And failing that, rent one?

Thanks,

Katou

I'm sure there are several different rental places in Toronto.
    Check with a couple. Most have low-bed, Hydraulic lift trailers with 7000Lb. capacity.
    I found this rental place here in Texas, that rents trailers for $64.
    Just a thought.
    http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/Equipm...150&catid=s421

Comment

You can borrow one of mine but the fuel cost might be prohibitive.... in any case I have grossly over loaded trailers and used good judgment on speeds and managed to get home.

John
      My Web Site

Comment

Some time back I was looking to rent a skidsteer. (Actually wound up buying a backhoe!!) The deck of trailer the skidsteer was on was about 6" off the ground. The skidsteer must have been at least 3K. Rent the skidsteer, park it for the day and move your mill.

Comment

You might an ad in your local Craig's List. You might find someone willing to rent you his.

Randy
          Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

The "drop-deck" trailer is a really great idea! Roll it on and off.

Comment

Katou, I weighed my Gorton 9J on a commercial truck scale and it weighed in at 3660 lbs. We loaded it with a very large skid steer loader and unloaded it with a 4000 lb fork truck. It was still a JOB loading and unloading.
              Patrick

Comment

Thanks all, good ideas. I especially like the one about renting a skid steer and then just using the trailer! That gave me a laugh.

I keep hoping that one of the locals on the board will chime in with a nearby solution...

I also thought about trying to rent a roofer's trailer, you know the ones that they use to dispose of old shingles? I figure a paltry 50 bundles of shingles = 3000 lbs.

The more places I have to call, the better my chance of finding one to rent.

Katou

Comment

Try to find a "drop" trailer like Kiddz recommended. It'll be the easiest/safest to unload. Also make sure that your load is "centered" over the axles, but slightly tongue heavy.

If you rent the skid steer, it might come in handy for unloading. 3000# is a lot weight to take off of a trailer. Do you have any experience rigging???

Ken

Comment

This is like I want to build.
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Anderso...item43b20073dd
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

I would highly suggest renting a Uhaul or other fleet trailer vs borrowing for liability's sake. FYI - I brought my Bport (1500 lbs) home on a single axle Uhaul utility (open flat deck), and was at ~50% of its rated capacity. I think it cost ~$20 for 24 hrs.
                      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I hear you on the Uhaul, but the biggest they have is 3000 lbs, and the trailer itself is 2000 lbs!

I brought my lathe home, it was 5500 lbs. That's about the extent of my rigging experience.

But I have read MANY articles on the internet. I've even watched Youtube videos of people moving machines!

I'm going to do this, one way or another, as long as I can get a trailer that is.

I'm awfully tempted to rent the Uhaul trailer and give it a go. Those things are built like tanks!

Katou

Comment

Originally posted by katou View Post
                          I hear you on the Uhaul, but the biggest they have is 3000 lbs, and the trailer itself is 2000 lbs!
                          Is there a 3000 lb limit on what your tow vehicle can haul? Trailers are heavy, but typically the rating does not include weight of the trailer itself. I suspect youre mistaking GVW (gross vehicle weight) with capacity. Or...does the local store simply stock only teensy tiny trailers?

http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/

I rented one of these lil utility trailers in the middle, but the rating they give online doesnt seem accurate IIRC from what I rented. From what I see online, it appears they do rent trailers rated to at least 2200 lbs if you go with a tandem axle utility.

I once borrowed my brother's single axle motorcycle trailer and Sierra to tow my 4000 lb truck. It held the weight without issue, but was a royal PITA to load. I then bought a 7k lb rated tandem axle used but gave up on that project pretty quickly as it needed everything. Now I happily rent and dont worry about maintenance.
                          Last edited by justanengineer; 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM.
                          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Can you just put the mill in the bed of the pickup and tie it down real well? You can get it off with a wrecker that has a boom on it. Call up your local wrecker service. Might cost $50-75.

Of course if your friend's pickup is pristine he probably won't like that idea. I own my own pickup so pristine isn't in my vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
                              I'm sure there are several different rental places in Toronto.
                              Check with a couple. Most have low-bed, Hydraulic lift trailers with 7000Lb. capacity.
                              I found this rental place here in Texas, that rents trailers for $64.
                              Just a thought.
                              I've look extensively and no luck....would love to hear what info you have on these being available in TO....I sure would like to able to rent one! They are a magnificent design

Hi Katou, gotta get that mill home!

they are a challenge given the height, weight and being top heavy. dissassembly would be a pita, but might reduce some of the challenges. take a cherry picker with you sort of thing.
                              Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X