• Show
Clear All

• How can they make & ship it for this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3800W-SCR-Vo...1ca7:confused:
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

No idea how they do it Eric. What would you use one for?

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I have some small gearmotors I want to make variable speed. I just found these for $5.99/shipped. I'll try one,
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

A combination of factors that may include virtually slave labor, no safety considerations, no environmental considerations, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
          A combination of factors that may include virtually slave labor, no safety considerations, no environmental considerations, etc.
          Add to the list, no concern whether it works or not or bursts into flame and burns your house down.
          Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
            I have some small gearmotors I want to make variable speed. I just found these for $5.99/shipped. I'll try one,
            The link says they are $8.98, did the chinese hear about your "gloats" and give you a discount.

Ken

Comment

What they don't say is that you will need the Ganges river flowing over the heat sink to help keep it cool

Comment

Don't know how... but that's not the half of it. I was looking at an automotive USB scope, 8 channels with various leads... not a bad unit for, shipping included, about $125. So I was hunting around for reviews and somehow ended up at a Chinese site... some kind of Amazon-like store (the shop, not the lost tribe of female warriors - just to be clear ). There was the same unit - currency converted to about $62 shipping included. Of course, they only shipped to Chinese addresses. I actually got a Chinese friend to verify the price and shipping details.

So, the stuff you see on Ebay is coming from resellers that know just enough English to get 100% profit. Yeah... that unbelievably low Ebay price is drastically INFLATED compared to what the in-China price is.

Then there's shipping... I received a pack of plasma cutter consumables (tips and stuff) for $2.99 with $4.50 shipping... from China, tracking number and signature-required. They were probably making money on that shipping too. I had to ship back a broken Android tablet... best I could get from Canada was $20 surface, no tracking. To get tracking, only available via air mail, it would have cost something like $80 to ship back, more if I wanted that signature-required thing. Now, Canada is probably one of the worst and China one of the best, so this is an extreme comparison, but jeez. Not only is China subsidizing their manufacturing (by pegging their currency) but they must be directly subsidizing their post office too. Not that Canada doesn't subsidize our post office too, but it looks like China actually gets their money's worth out it.

Yeah, there's the subsidizing, the lack of regulation, exploitation of labor, etc... but I suspect the biggest savings Chinese companies have is that they don't have to worry about getting sued. I mean, I love Chinese tooling because it doesn't come with a 40 page "instruction manual" that basically repeats "don't be STUPID" over and over and over. If you cut your finger off or drill through your hand doing said stupid thing... what are you going to do? Go ahead, find the guys in China and try to sue them. Any name-brand stuff here is inflated to deal with all the product liability, recalls, complaints, 1-800 numbers... 'gotta keep the stupid people on the other side of the lawyer wall. That costs; we pay for it.

David...
                Last edited by fixerdave; 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM. Reason: can't help myself
                http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

The comments above not withstanding, these look to be essentially high wattage phase angle SCR light dimmers. If you take apart a standard light dimmer, there are typically 3 or 4 components in them. All mass produced, high quantity pars and thus very low cost. Pennies to fractions of pennies. This looks like the same thing with a fat SCR and larger heat sink. Very simple. Note also that theses are made for 220V operation.

As for the shipping, I understand that the Chinese government subsidizes shipping to the US for places like Deal Extreme, etc. Not sure if that is the case here, but it seems plausible.

Comment

One way is to buy up overstock. Companies often over-estimate subassemblies and cancel orders, or end up with unneeded shelf stock.

For example: http://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp

No slave laborers were exploited to create these prices - just bad business decisions.

Comment

Slave labor?

Not any more........ workers have to actually be paid these days, in china, costs have gone up. The days of crazy cheap labor in china are 20 years in the past, you must not have looked at the news for a while.

Even back then, people who didn't understand that the workers were from far away farms used to assume that they were slaves because they lived in dormitories..... I doubt it is the most pleasant life, but it was not slavery. I understand there were (probably still are) some prison factories, but many factories had dormitories just because the workers came from elsewhere and had to live somewhere locally.

The chinese don't want factory work anymore, it is dirty and hot, and does not pay as well as office work. So wages had to go up to compensate. I know of factories where 20% of the workers never came back after the chinese new year holiday, they went to find different work at better pay in Shanghai (the factory was in Shenzen).

I suspect dp is partly correct. The units could be overstock, possibly from "midnight production runs", outright theft, or selling off defective units that didn't pass testing but may generally "work" (possibly bought cheap priced by the kilo).

The basic parts cost isn't very high, especially at the distorted chinese internal prices.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
                        Stan.

Things have moved "on and up" and still are.

Perhaps you need to get out more and take your blinders off.

We've got sweat-shops and some with (at best) "poor" working conditions, wages etc. here in Australia and I don't doubt that there are plenty in the US, UK and similar countries - which you may see if you get those blinkers off.

A bit less sinophobia and xenophobia too might help - but evidence-based objective assessment and criticism is quite OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinophobia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
                          Add to the list, no concern whether it works or not or bursts into flame and burns your house down.
                          Caveat emptor?

Comment

Place I used to work decided to "get smart" and outsource some of our stamping work to China. This was the "golden age" of shoddy labor practices and the point of lowest prices at least as far as I know... I no longer keep up with that aspect of things.

Well they farmed out several hundred die-sets along with all the drawings need to make the parts and maintain the tooling.

Someone over there looked at the company logo and said "Ah XYZ Medical Equipment lets look at their catalog... and shortly thereafter our customer was cutting orders back because "someone in china copied our designs and is flooding the market with copies."

That customer ultimately tanked and nearly dragged us down with them.

Fast forward "a little while" and the new new new management is looking to do the same thing again, but with aerospace components.

Soooo glad I left.
                            "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

If you have doubts about its adequacy etc. and you buy it it (instead of say a "Made in the USA" item - "quality" and dearer - of course) based on cost then you just have to "wear" the results after it is in your hands as you are part of the problems associated with any adverse outcomes.

Assuming you made an "informed choice" - but who here doesn't - of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X