My lathe is broken.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My lathe is broken.

In the morning my wife often asks what are you going to do in the shop today? Often, The answer is “I am going to make a tool to use to make another tool.” So lately that has changed to, “I am going to work on the machine that is used to make a tool to use to make another tool.” This originally started to do some accuracy Gunsmithing for my personal guns. I don’t shoot much anymore so I just make tools……

Update on the condition of the Nardini. There is no continuity through the brake release solenoid witch is integral with the Motor. That is the two white wires shown here:
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Not much help here when it comes to motor internals. If it was mine, I'd haul it to a rewind shop and ask for help.

Comment

So have you popped the back cover off the brake and disabled it for a test run yet?
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

For sure, my first move would be to remove covers and verify that the problem is, or is not, actually in the coil, as opposed to connections, etc.

Then, if it is the coil, an assessment of repair costs, and of the need for the brake (need, not preference) is in order. if you can get by without it, "some disassembly is required", and you could be back in business, albeit without the brake.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I wouldn't have been able to resist taking that end cover off, not even if a label said "under no circumstances remove this end cover"!

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            For sure, my first move would be to remove covers and verify that the problem is, or is not, actually in the coil, as opposed to connections, etc.

Then, if it is the coil, an assessment of repair costs, and of the need for the brake (need, not preference) is in order. if you can get by without it, "some disassembly is required", and you could be back in business, albeit without the brake.
            Might be a good time to check the brake too - for new shoes/pads/disks?

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
              Might be a good time to check the brake too - for new shoes/pads/disks?
              he won't need 'em most likely, it seems to grab quite well now, or we wouldn't be having this conversation

And, if it is unrepairable coil-wise, ditto.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

If the coil is toast they aren't difficult to rewind if a new one isn't available,the magnet wire and potting compound is available here-

http://www.eis-inc.com/
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                X