How big is your home machine shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big is your home machine shop?

I'm curious how much space most of the guys (probably a gal or two as well) on here have to play with.

I've got a 24'x24'x8' high garage with 100 amp electrical service. Unfortunately my wife seems hell bent on wanting to park in one half of the garage in the winter. Hopefully a strategically placed #4000 machine will stop that!

So what do you guys have to deal with?

1000 sq ft garage with a 1000sq ft attached shop with 200 amp service and a back up 15kW 3 phase generator. I'm out of room!

John
    My Web Site

Comment

an 18' square with high ceilings and a poured concrete floor; insufficient light and plain old 110 service that's got me a little frustrated. It's a great room with solid-core door workbench tables bolted to the walls screwed to 4x4 legs with deck post irons, a few stairs from the basement/wood shop, but I'd really love to be able to power the kind of machines that could fit in there, rather than my mere mini lathe and mills.

Really need to do something about lighting. Its amazing how much dimmer light bulbs seem to become over time.
      ----
      Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

It's not the light bulbs that are dimming...

I used the T8 hanging fixtures from wally world and got the bulbs in a bulk pack at homeless depot and painted the walls and ceiling white... if a fixture goes out I just unplug it and plug in a new one.

John
        My Web Site

Comment

Not big enough. Ever.
          A machine shop area about 300sq ft, another one with some tools and bikes in with another 300, 600 sq ft upstairs for material and spares storage, and a 800 sq foot barn, but I have to keep the tractor in that and some other junk (for now...)

Build her a carport near the drive and near the house, parking in the barn is a easy option to avoid demisting the screen on startup, and when you stop that, the requests magically go away if your lucky...

Comment

I am in a 484sq.ft. heated garage. Shop has filled the entire space
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

I am only allowed half a garage....wife dont mind parking in the driveway during the summer, but during winter its a non negotable item.

Comment

When I first moved here, I looked at the 24'x24' garage and thought "this will be perfect". Then I moved in my first piece of equipment (a J&S cylindrical grinder), and started visually laying out the rest of my machines, and suddenly realized that I was going to be out of space really quickly!

I told the wife if we end up staying here I need to knock out the back of the garage and extend it another 20' or more, and if we move we have to go to a country home, with a lot of land, preferably with a barn already on site!

Comment

I've got it all crammed into half of a two-car garage.

Not big enough. Ever.
                  Agreed. If I had more space then I would just have more stuff filling it.

Comment

I have a 20'x20' garage with a 12'x20' workshop added on. The garage is mostly full of "stuff". The workshop houses my Tree 2UVR, Cadillac 1440 lathe, big Snap-On tool box, 3x7 steel workbench, another toolbox full of tooling, shelving along one wall, and a vertical bandsaw. Its cozy, but it works. In the garage, I have more shelving, my 80 gallon compressor, welding carts, grinders, 16" disc grinder, press, engine hoist, and a big pile of half finished projects.

I want more space, but that will just attract more junk. I don't need more junk.

Comment

I have a 12x24 insulated room inside a 28x60 metal building. Its mostly storage with the 12x24 dedicated to machines.

bedwards

Comment

My shop is 2215 square feet with a very high roof. 10meters x 20meters. Still too small.
                        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Your basic two car garage, 20' 1" x 20' 3.5" plus a storage room, 6' 3.5" x 7' 8". I share the storage room with the water heater. The garage is all mine. I have lived in Iowa without a garage, but in south Texas winter is not such a big deal. Besides, I doubt that my wife would even dare to drive through a garage door.

My shop is a work in progress. I have posted some pictures here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...reat+shop+move

Work has been slow due to other concerns, both health and income related. And some SWMBO concerns. I am presently working on replacing the useless AC unit in the window with a much larger one that also has heat for the winter. It does get a bit chilly on some days. Oh, and as you can see in that thread, I also have a work table in my office for electronic/computer work. I presently have a for-profit project in progress there. So I guess you can add another 20 sq feet or so.
                          Paul A.

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohnT View Post
                            It's not the light bulbs that are dimming...
                            No, I'm slowly coming to that conclusion. All the rooms in my house are just so damn DARK all the time. Took me way too long to admit what the problem was. So at least my stubborn old jackarse training is going well.
                            ----
                            Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

My current work shop is 40’X40’, heated by used oil furnace w/ forced air, a 2nd floor for storage that has a metal spiral steps (given to me for building a nice wood staircase), and a sub panel rated at 200amps. There is enough room fit the project car (70, 442). The building is made from old oil pipes (mostly 3”) and there is never enough light. Its 20 to 30 feet from the house with an intercom, phone, and water (shutoff 24 inches below grade). Down side is the mud dabbers and wasps always find their way in to everything.

The old guy that owned the house worked in a boiler making plant and had his shop in here.

Comment

Working...
                              X