O.T. Old Popular Mechanics Magazine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Old Popular Mechanics Magazine question

Hey Guys, I enjoy buying and reading old P.M. magazines from the 50's and before. my question has to do with an abbreviation on the binding of some of the issues around that era....it's: "N.S.E."

Any ideas?...I was born in the 60's so I'm not sure if it's commercial/trade related or wartime/patriotic, or what it is.

Thanks for any thoughts on this little puzzle.

John

I can't help you on your quest, but did you know that all the PM magazines from 1905 thru 2000 are available to read for free on Google Books, Here is the link. http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=nt8DAAAAMBAJ

Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

For distribution to the north, south and east? I understand that the west had different demographics and distribution channels back then.

Just guessing.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&rlz=...w=1920&bih=884

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ecial%3ASearch

?????????????????????????????????????

Comment

zinom, how many issues do you have? and how far back?

I have around 150 , the oldest is 1935 i think. I enjoy the articles and the ads from the era are great reading.

At an estate sale i just bought all the "Shop Tips " issues from 05- 1930. Interesting , but a lot of useless info now.

Comment

I just looked at the March 1950 issue on Google books, and came out with more questions than answers. On the front cover, what's the "ANC" in the upper left of their logo? What's the star in the upper right? Why would a magazine need to be registered with the patent office?

Too many questions, not enough coffee.
            Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              (snip) At an estate sale i just bought all the "Shop Tips " issues from 05- 1930. Interesting , but a lot of useless info now.
              Reminds of one of those "shop tips" I read in one of those magazines from the late '40's or so. It told of a guy who found a bees nest under his back porch and could not quite reach it to get rid of it. His clever solution was to take his wife's vacuum cleaner and using the narrowest tool, suck the bees out of the nest. He then suggested that in order to dispatch said bees before emptying the vacuum, he just sucked some DDT powder up into the vacuum cleaner. Mission accomplished!

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                Reminds of one of those "shop tips" I read in one of those magazines from the late '40's or so. It told of a guy who found a bees nest under his back porch and could not quite reach it to get rid of it. His clever solution was to take his wife's vacuum cleaner and using the narrowest tool, suck the bees out of the nest. He then suggested that in order to dispatch said bees before emptying the vacuum, he just sucked some DDT powder up into the vacuum cleaner. Mission accomplished!

Wow. That's kind of scary. Unless he had a hepa filter in his vac. Oh wait, they didn't have hepa filters back then.

Brian
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I remember Popular Mechanix and Mechanix Illustrated from when I was a kid. My grand parents lived across the alley, and two of my uncles were avid readers/collectors of both. Nothing like sneaking away, going over to the small shop across the alley, and ruining my eyesight reading one magazine after another while one or both of my uncles showed me how to run all of the machines and tools in their little shop. I think I was probably 6-7 years old at the time. But, if my Mom needed me, she knew where I was. By the time I was 8, I could run any machine in the shop, with somewhat reasonable accuracy.
                  No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I saw a 1934 edition at a swap meet last week. On the cover? A flying car. I am still waiting for that.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                      Wow. That's kind of scary. Unless he had a hepa filter in his vac. Oh wait, they didn't have hepa filters back then.

Brian
                      Actually, many studies show that DDT is nowhere near as harmful to people, nor as likely to have undesirable effects on the environment as the modern 'safe' insecticides.
                      The biggest issue with it was that it persisted so long where it was sprayed and was indiscriminate of it's target, but that's the same problem approved poisons have.

Comment

I agree over the years they have published some bizzare articles, like the bee one mentioned above. But Hey,, i guess it did work!! Lol

Same with the ads, the depression years i have found to have some greatly exagerated ads on ways to make money. One i remember was going door to door selling leather Bow Ties, cause everyone was buying them, they couldn't make then fast enough,,,, Yeah right!!
                        Guys like Sam Brown, Claude Lamey, Walter Burton , etc must have been with them for years.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post

but a lot of useless info now.
                          Dangerous by today's standards but not useless. How much of a risk are you willing to take to DYI it and save money the way they did in the good old days.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Much of the information is still of value, if only to provide a view into the past. I was looking at the March, 1953 issue last night. The graphic that showed 'What man knows about the atmosphere" was a kick. The highest 2 stage rocket hit 250 miles!

When I read the old articles on craft-work they still provide an interesting take on work holding, use of tools, etc. Some of them read like a Gingery article, making tools to do a specific job.

The magazine is full of great lines like .... "Meteorologists suspect that the Jet Stream has a great deal to do with the steering of the warm and cold air masses that cause varying weather conditions on the surface." Younger folks probably don't know that as little at 40 years ago the weather forecasts were seldom accurate, even for the next day. Grandpa used to watch the weather report every night in order to plan the next day's work.

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                              I can't help you on your quest, but did you know that all the PM magazines from 1905 thru 2000 are available to read for free on Google Books, Here is the link. http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=nt8DAAAAMBAJ

Mel
                              Thank you!!!! I didt realize google books existed or this stuff was on here!!!

Thanks,
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X