Camera Expertise Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Expertise Needed

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Canon 7D. Some of what has gone into the choice is Nikon support (not impressive), remote control capability, high capacity sensor, good reviews, stabilized lenses (but spendy), and good video characteristics. It uses a CCD sensor that can create a "jello affect" but that can be moderated by careful planning. Don't do this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=0qC0_nIUq9s#! or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...8&feature=fvwp

My feeling is the 7D is near the top of the almost professional cameras and can do all I need and still be simple for the needs of my wife. There are a lot of preprogrammed options in it and they are not difficult to learn.

The one driver for consideration is price. This goes out the door for more than $1600 more often than not, and there's not much in the box you take home. That includes the camera, some cords, some software that claims to work well in Windows as well as Mac, and a choice of one of several lenses. The one necessary lens is a 50mm 1.4 and the rest are fluff but expensive fluff. Motorized stabilizing lenses is not cheap.

Other cameras on the short list are Nikon 5100, Canon 60D, and a few others over the price range of $1200/2000.

I know Macona has a 60D and I wonder how it is standing up to the urge to stay current, and also what other camera users think of the current crop of higher end amateur snappers.

My purpose is to create video tutorials, nature photos, and to create a big stack of photos of stuff our kids can toss out when we're gone. That will include a river cruise across Europe to the Black Sea, for example. Secondarily I want to work only with RAW images, and all of the mentioned camers are compatible with my post software.
    Last edited by dp; 11-10-2012, 05:12 AM.

I have just bought a Pentax K-5 and didnt even consider any other marque as the Pentax DSLRs will handle Pentax lenses back to when Adam had a Box Brownie.

Old Pentax glass is easy and fairly cheap to find and acquire and with image stabilisation in the camera that works with the old Pentax lenses.

Here is one comparison, no doubt there are others on-line
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_7D-vs-Pentax_K-5

But the Pentax does fall outside your price range! (much cheaper).
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 11-10-2012, 05:45 AM.

Comment

The D7 body is a very good body but it is not a pro body - and even Canon classifies it in the "enthusiast" range
      Any focus on buying a quality camera should be less on bodies and more on lenses
      Any DSLR camera above about 6Mp is more lens limited than CCD limited -- if you can afford an L series then they will make more difference than the upper end bodies.
      Even quality DSLR bodies should be regarded as having a limited lifetime, mechanical shutters fail, electronics die etc. Lenses however should last a lot longer.

With the D7 having a small sensor a standard 50 mm lens will be more like an 80 mm - good for portraits and indoors but will be limited for travels, something like the 24-70 f2.8L would be ideal

Comment

My 60D has been great, I cant complain. I am currently using the Magic Lantern firmware that sits on top of canon's firmware that gives me some extra features. http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/M..._Firmware_Wiki I expect the 60D will be replaced soon.

They only thing about the 7D is it is getting a little long in the tooth and there should be a Mark II version coming out soon, rumors of January. I personally would buy a used 5D Mark II over a 7D new.

All the current cameras use CMOS, not CCD. Thats why you get the Jellycam effect, it is the rolling shutter. If you are on a mac iMovie has a post processing feature that pretty much eliminates the jellycam when you get it.

The 50 1.4 is a great lens, but if you do get a 7D it will be more like a 80mm because of the 1.6x crop factor of the smaller lens. So you might consider a 35mm or 28mm instead. I recommend the 17-40L, great lens, cheapest of the L series (About $700) and is almost impossible to get a flare off of even pointing towards the sun. And there is almost no distortion at full wide.

Another option is the new 6D, it is more of the successor to the 5D II than the 5D II is, at least price wise. It has a full frame sensor.

Like you have said, Nikon sucks when it comes to support. At laika we had looked at using nikon camera and nikon would not even give us the time of day. Canon on the other hand leant us cameras to try, helped with the api's for the camera to do remote control, and other support. A friend just bought on of the new Nikon full frames and one of the things he misses is no remote computer control.

Canon also allows you to use adapters to used other brand lenses on their bodies. The canon has a short focal place distance so you can use pentax and nikon lenses easily, of course in manual. Adapters are cheap, about $12.

My Pentax was nice but they are way behind in features for the equivalent price range.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
          My Pentax was nice but they are way behind in features for the equivalent price range.
          So you dont agree with the comparison I posted?

Comment

The 7D is three years old now, thats why I say wait if it is a 7D he wants.

Comment

I"ve been a Nikon boy my entire life. Recently went Canon and never looked back. I have the Mark 5 IID and like it's size and comfort. I have the 24-105 VS which is phenomenal in my opinion. I also have a Canon 100-400 for birds and that brings me to my suggestion. If you plan to shoot birds and wildlife I would buy whatever has the fastest frame rate. My Mark 5 does not have enough frame rate to get the really choice shots while they are on the wing. Faster frame rates will pretty much guarantee you the expression/action/positioning you want.

As for quality, I think all these new genre of digital optics are now splitting hairs for quality. If you ever go for the Canon 100-400 VS make sure you can send it back if it mounts loose. I've had it fail to shoot because the lens had to be held just right in the mount. I bought that lens at a small local camera shop and returned it. I bought my second one from B&H which has huge turnover and you get fresh stock. Have fun.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

The Nikon D600 is what you want, just about the best combination of size, performance, and fantastic color rendition.
                James Kilroy

Comment

I have used several types of lower end /middle digital cameras, and if Canon is as good at higher end as they are at lower/middle, don't bother with anyone else.

Good optics even in cheap cameras, exceptional service, good color rendition in everything I have used.... it goes on. If this can be extrapolated up, I certainly would choose Canon 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
                    Some of what has gone into the choice is Nikon support (not impressive.
                    I have a Nikon D80 and it has been an excellent camera and I am very happy with it.....but I would agree with the above statement.

The other thing is the lenses nowadays just feel so flimsey; I suppose in the field the light weight is a big advantage but compared to my old Nikkor lenses they feel like a bit of a joke

Comment

I just bought the 7D from B&H in NYC last month. It's great does everything I want it to do. I'm a graduate commercial art degree holder . I do all sorts of photography. It serves it's purpose and then some. I paid $1357 for body only. They just came out with it's replacement and it's labled 6D cost is about $2099 at B&H. A little more than I wanted to pay. It is a 20.mb camera compared to the 7D at 18+. Boot

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog View Post
                        I"ve been a Nikon boy my entire life. Recently went Canon and never looked back. I have the Mark 5 IID and like it's size and comfort. I have the 24-105 VS which is phenomenal in my opinion. I also have a Canon 100-400 for birds and that brings me to my suggestion. If you plan to shoot birds and wildlife I would buy whatever has the fastest frame rate. My Mark 5 does not have enough frame rate to get the really choice shots while they are on the wing. Faster frame rates will pretty much guarantee you the expression/action/positioning you want.

As for quality, I think all these new genre of digital optics are now splitting hairs for quality. If you ever go for the Canon 100-400 VS make sure you can send it back if it mounts loose. I've had it fail to shoot because the lens had to be held just right in the mount. I bought that lens at a small local camera shop and returned it. I bought my second one from B&H which has huge turnover and you get fresh stock. Have fun.
                        geez YOD, you went from ringing endorsment in the first paragraph to scaring one completely away from Canon in the second ..... lenses that have to held just so....and have best before dates

Comment

Originally posted by Boot View Post
                          I just bought the 7D from B&H in NYC last month. It's great does everything I want it to do. I'm a graduate commercial art degree holder . I do all sorts of photography. It serves it's purpose and then some. I paid $1357 for body only. They just came out with it's replacement and it's labled 6D cost is about $2099 at B&H. A little more than I wanted to pay. It is a 20.mb camera compared to the 7D at 18+. Boot
                          I dont think I would consider the 6D the replacement for the 7D. 6D is full frame, I think it was made to fill in the $2k price mark that was left when the 5D III came out closer to $3k.

Comment

Have you considered mirrorless instead of a DSLR? The Sony Nex-6 is beginning to ship: http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...ing-nex-6.html
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post

My feeling is the 7D is near the top of the almost professional cameras and can do all I need and still be simple for the needs of my wife. There are a lot of preprogrammed options in it and they are not difficult to learn
                              T
                              What does the wife say? Does she agree 'they are not difficult to learn'?

My SIL has gone through a couple of high end digital cameras with all the bells and whistles. He loves them.My daughter knows how to use them but universally ends up buying her own camera(s) that have less bells/whistles, are 1/4 the bulk, doesn't have to worry if she will drop it on the ski lift or lose it in the woods while hiking with the dogs. Doesnt worry if she will bang it up.

Her cameras don't have a dozen things she has to remember to ignore. Hooking her cameras up to her MAC is idiot proof. All she wants to do is manage them with IPhoto or slap them into Facebook pages. She does videos and voice overs too. Additionally she doesn't have to ask her husband for the $3000 camera he is carrying around guarding like a mother hen guards her chicks.

I'm not saying don't buy what you want (you should) but don't wimp out and cry about spending money on cameras if the wife wants to spend $300 on something she would use a whole lot more.

I'd bet my daughter takes 100 photos/videos for each one her husband does and probably saves/uses most of them. Her camera is compact enough it fits in a coat pocket and is unobtrusive. His camera hangs around his neck like a Kurt vise, not to mention the extra lens and bulky flash.

So, just saying, wife going to be happy, or just be resigned to using your camera?

Comment

Working...
                              X