Bench blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench blocks

I have been getting by with a rectangular block for years now and I happened to seen a post of a member making a round bench block , good post and all but I was curious as to why round is prefered to any other shape?
    Michael

Some of the ones I have seen for gunsmithing are firearm specific. 45 auto, some revolvers just to name a few. Frank

Comment

As always, its best if a pic or two were to be posted as illustrations for those who mght not know what a "bench block" is and so keep them "in the loop".

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=be...w=1920&bih=884

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&rlz=...pw.r_qf.&cad=b

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        ....<snip>... I was curious as to why round is prefered to any other shape?
        Michael
        I am not so sure that round is preferred to other shapes. I have several tapping guides that are much like bench blocks but they don't have any Vee grooves. I like the round shape for them because the holes are all equally close to the outside edge and all of them can be used in tight quarters equally well. With a square or rectangular block some holes would be at the corners and others would be in the middle of a side. The corner holes may be more versatile while the middle holes would be less.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

A "bench block" seems to have no specific shape size or use - just make them up as you need them for an intended purpose.

Comment

Just responded to another thread (probably the one you are talking about) on this subject. Totally agree with you. I made mine long ago and made it round because that's just the way they were always made but I wish I had made it square or rectangular now so I could put it in a vise to hold it securely. I also wish I had put in some tapped holes and had a slotted clamp for it because every time I need to drive in a pin I have to hold the rod so it doesn't turn (1 hand), hold the hammer (second hand) and hold the pin I am trying to drive in (with my toes).

Comment

Why didn't I think of that?!

Square block, crossed grooves with center hole, tap guide holes at each corner, tapped holes for clamps... I could actually use one of those right now.

Comment

Hi,

Just tossing this out, I got no proof. But I suspect machinist's tend to make round bench blocks because they almost always have access to round stock and a lathe. And round costs less than square. My round bench block, (made as a student machinist many, many years ago), is 1 1/2" high and 3" in diameter. 3" square bar costs more than 3" round.

TRX, you're thinking about a finger plate. [URL=""] A very simple and basic example.

dalee
                If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I made my bench block round because that was the material I had. I like DATo's suggestions of making the bottom so it could be clamped into a vice and the tapped holes. Actually I started to tap two of the holes in the top of mine and found my tap was too far gone to do it. I will get some tapped holes later. I guess as soon as it is completed I will need to heat treat it to make it hard.
                  Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

made the Lautard finger plate.....have the Starrett bench block.....would have to rummage around to find either.

Comment

Working...
                    X