What ever became of Guy Lautard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever became of Guy Lautard?

I was thumbing through my Machinist's Bedside Readers the other night and got to wondering what ever became of Guy Lautard.
    He still has a website up that indicates that it was updated in the past few months, but other than that there does not seem to be much activity from him. Anyone have any idea what's up there? Just curious really.

Like lots of other HSM types, the TMBR #4 that has seemingly been in the works for years now would certainly interest me, but I guess I just mostly wondering what became of Guy. I have always enjoyed his ideas and entertaining writing style.

Google did not turn up much useful info.

His Web site is still up - it notes:

UPDATED as of August 28, 2012
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

I hope he gets book #4 finished, i'd love to see it, and i,m sure many others would also.

So, Mr lautard, if you are hanging out here, best wishes to you and getting your'e projects finished.

Comment

Why doesn't someone take a bowl of clam chowder and go knock on his door? Thrud said that that was his favorite.
        Jim H.

Comment

Ha Ha!! Good post Jim.

Thrud,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Wonder if his sister has improved her meat loaf!?

Comment

It seems that the new book that so many are waiting for won't be out any time soon - so don't hold your breath waiting.

Comment

Hope you will make the phone call, and update us, and forward our best wishes!!

Comment

For those interested. This link on his website I think gives details that provide the contact Information. If you read this page and the ordering directions on the rest of the website the situation is explained.
                http://www.lautard.com/twostories.html
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                  I was thumbing through my Machinist's Bedside Readers the other night and got to wondering what ever became of Guy Lautard.
                  He still has a website up that indicates that it was updated in the past few months, but other than that there does not seem to be much activity from him. Anyone have any idea what's up there? Just curious really.

Like lots of other HSM types, the TMBR #4 that has seemingly been in the works for years now would certainly interest me, but I guess I just mostly wondering what became of Guy. I have always enjoyed his ideas and entertaining writing style.

Google did not turn up much useful info.
                  I know we are in 2021, quite a few years after this post, but for the last few months I have been wondering and trying to reach him or find just about what this original posting was doing with no really good results.
                  To make to story short, I bought a professional Saw Mill in2004 (Ontario-Canada where I spend summers; Texas in winter) and shortly after using my box of original 10 blades I realized I had to sharp them often (about a day of cutting for me).
                  Investigating the cost of the factory made sharpener decided I was frugal enough to put up with some scrap box material and make one the work. I did, it work even that looked like anyone of my projects:"Does the job with a lot of extra precautions and tribulations and looks like a contraption that no one will be proud to show".
                  Well, that is not new to me, but after some much research on finding how to do it and never saw on DIY, decided that maybe Guy Lautard ( I have very high regards for) could benefit from taking my research if he saw it fit; and provide the machinist DIY community with all that together and better presented that I would ever do.
                  So,around 2007 had some emails and he seems being interested; so I said give me some time to get as the info/pic/videos together and get back to you.
                  Dial up to 2020 and under the constant reminding/recriminations of my conscience decided to make the effort and try him again with my overdue apologies.
                  Result: No answers to my emails or no news on the web about his present activity and the Timber 4 still not completed.
                  Bottom line: Looking for some indications on how to contact him, since I am thinking that an alternative may be asking HSM Editor of he will be interested on an article of that nature.
                  For 16 years I have been having fun and very good exercise during the summers felling trees and making all kinds of lumber. Anyone with a bunch of mature trees on his/her
                  property is missing all this fun. Even a DIY Saw Mill is doable or even available as reasonable prices in today's market.
                  Here are some pictures of my adventures with it
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	SawMill_2005.JPG
Views:	1099
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	1931610 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sawmill_2004_InsideHouse.JPG
Views:	1083
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	1931611 Click image for larger version

Name:	SawMill-2016IMG_0915.JPG
Views:	1077
Size:	682.8 KB
ID:	1931612 Click image for larger version

Name:	SawMill_Aug_B 008.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1931613 Click image for larger version

Name:	SawMill_Wood_Pile_2016.JPG
Views:	1072
Size:	817.9 KB
ID:	1931614

Comment

Found this old thread regarding GL and the Bedside Reader over at PM: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...00/index3.html

Comment

No idea what happened to him -- I heard he had a terrible divorce, came out on the losing end etc. I was trying to buy his books direct a couple years ago because scalpers were trying to get over $200 each for them. I finally decided that there is better use of my time, and gave up. Given the amount of reading I do, in antiques and classics, I have little reason to believe there was much original ideas anyway.
                      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Correct me if I recall incorrectly. He refused to split income from future sales of existing books and reprints with the old ball 'n chain. His existing stock was wholesaled out to a reseller and now they are gone.
                        Cut off the nose to spite the face. It's better to make some money, than none at all.

Comment

Elwood and Jake nailed it ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw02DhS5eLk
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                            Elwood and Jake nailed it ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw02DhS5eLk
                            B.S. Stop the bleeding. Getting on with living your life,....priceless.
                            Last edited by reggie_obe; 03-03-2021, 04:15 PM.

Comment

The current website. Guy Lautard.Com has the same address as he used in correspondence with me in April 99. So I think this is run by his former wife. Have not heard from him in about 10 years.
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X