Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buck T-1035 1 1/2-8 adapter doesn't fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck T-1035 1 1/2-8 adapter doesn't fit?

I have the said adapter on a 4 jaw, and it will screw on about 2 1/4 turns, before locking up due to increasing friction, on the Logan 10". Checks out on an 8 tpi gage.

Buck no longer shows the part, so I don't know what it is "supposed" to be. For all I know it is 7.9 tpi......

Anyone have a catalog or know the part?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It looks like you have to open up the thread a little, reverse the jaws on your 4 jaw chuck, install the 3 jaw chuck remove the jaws, clamp the 4 jaw onto the 3 jaw indicate true pick up thread take skim chip, when they cut the thread there may be a small divot left in the thread that you can't see.

Comment

It also may be "sharp V" vs "standard" truncated V threads. In fact that is more likely the longer I look at this.

The surprise there is that it went on 2+ turns before binding up to where it won't go.

IIRC I ran into this once many years ago, and simply scraped around with an old threading tool until it fit. I had forgotten, butremembered when I saw the S-B faceplate that I had to do it to.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

A lot of "stuff" like that adaptor plate internal screw thread was made by boring and rough cutting the screw thread (to true it up the the axis) and finishing off with a tap which will follow the screw-cut internal thread.

If the tap does not go in deep/far enough you may well get the problem the OP describes.

In the event of not having a tap to suit, I'd make one and rely on it following the previous tap.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          It also may be "sharp V" vs "standard" truncated V threads. In fact that is more likely the longer I look at this.

The surprise there is that it went on 2+ turns before binding up to where it won't go.

IIRC I ran into this once many years ago, and simply scraped around with an old threading tool until it fit. I had forgotten, butremembered when I saw the S-B faceplate that I had to do it to.
          Yes, the hard part would be to determine where the interference is.

I would guess it was on the crest/major diameter of the external thread as this area is likely to smaller at the start of the external thread due to de-burring with a file. This would account for the 2+ turns of start.

But that is just a guess, a little time with some spray-on layout blue may reveal the true culprit.

Dave

Comment

It seems to have been as I thought, sharp V vs standard truncated V thread. or possibly "more truncated" vs "less truncated". Some work to open the truncated V in the adapter threads and it screws on all the way.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X