Water vessel project ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water vessel project ideas

Just replaced the water vessel for my parents and now I have their old waterlogged unit. It is a 80 gallon unit about 24-30" across and 4.5-5' tall. No rust on the outside and actually is in great condition but like I said the air bladder is ruined and had to be replaced. This tank is constructed very much like a air compressor tank, rolled steel sheet seam welded with formed caps welded on each end. The only real hole in the tank is a single 2" port in the center of the bottom cap for the water pipe to be plumbed in.

I mentioned to my parents that people do all kinds of things with these old vessels from BBQ's to flower planters and blast cabinets. They got a kick out of it.

I have seen a few projects here with all kinds of old tanks but nothing that I really have a need for like a BBQ, planter, blast cabinet, or wood burner mainly because I have all that stuff already. lol Looking for some input on some other great ideas for old vessels. Lets hear it!

Sort of like the tank on the right but without all the ports.
    Andy

One man sub?

Comment

One that I had became a woodburning stove. Laid on its side, cut an opening at one end for a door and at the other end for the chimney. Some basic angle iron assembly for the stand and that was it. There were some holes in the side for piping, which I put downwards for a fresh air intake.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Fill it full of concrete and then use it as a lawn roller/earth packer??

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
          Fill it full of concrete and then use it as a lawn roller/earth packer??
          I was going to suggest lawn roller. I prefer pea gravel over concrete though.

Comment

Doing some google searching but not seeing much.

I did have a thought though, I have been wanting a gun/valuables safe for awhile now. The tank could make a nice inconspicuous safe. An old water heater I guess would be better suited as far as fire protection for the valuables but I'm not to worried about that aspect. Mainly to keep stuff away from the kids and any intruders/thieves.
            Andy

Comment

I use the bottom half for an electrolysis cleaning tank. The steel of the tank is the electrode that surrounds the part. It is sacrificial but it lasts a long time. The top half I use to hold my large fish fryer pot. It is very stable and holds the heat in so it is more efficient than an open support.

If used as a roller water is heavy enough to work well and is easy to remove or replace.
              Byron Boucher
              Burnet, TX

Comment

Yep, water works. I had to repair my roller twice though before switching to pea gravel. Water and freezing temps don't go well together in a roller.

Comment

I always thought Pea gravel was "Kidney stones."

Comment

I know you have a BBQ but how about a smoker? Of course for meat & fish, not a neighborhood bong. LOL
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                      I know you have a BBQ but how about a smoker? Of course for meat & fish, not a neighborhood bong. LOL
                      I owned a smoker for about 10 years, just sold it 2 years ago on a rummage sale, never used it once. But it would make a perfect smoker.
                      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                        I always thought Pea gravel was "Kidney stones."
                        No, No, No. That'd be pee gravel.

Comment

These would make a good outer shell for a Charcoal or Gas foundry.

Comment

Things I've built from similar pipe/tanks:

Animal watering trough - think cows and horses
                            Incinerator - add a length of pipe on top for a better thermal draft, side door for loading, bottom door for cleanout, and a rebar grate 6 - 8" up from the bottom
                            Charcoal foundry furnace- ala Gingery. I lined mine with fire brick splits mortared in place with fireclay.
                            Mold board for a dozer blade, rear blade, or box blade. 1/3 of an arc gives a very aggressive cutting action 24" pipe makes an excellent snow blade. With a water tank, some ribs will be needed as well as cutting edge support.
                            Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Turn it into a plazma cutter...

How do you do that? Very simple, here's how...

Take that old tank and place it by the door of your wife's car - so she needs to walk around it to get in - and tell her you have BIG plans for it.
                              After a week or so she'll tell you to get rid of the @$$### thing! But... in order to do that, tell her that you'll need a plazma cutter to cut it up in small pieces. She'll say "whatever" and there you go - you now have turned it into a plazma cutter!

Comment

Working...
                              X