Unique Diamond Dressing Fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Diamond Dressing Fixture

I ran across this litle fixture a few weeks ago............ thinking what am I going to do with it. Well it turns out it's pretty versatile when it comes to dressing your surface grinder wheel when you have work set up on the magnetic chuck. The feature I like best is I no longer have to lower the wheel to the table to reach my old diamond nib that was mounted on a 3/8" piece of flat bar.
    That saves a lot of time. There are also several holes around the base for mounting the diamond nib in other positions that allow you to set up around your work. The base is cast....... I'm wondering if this was shop made or made by some company. No markings on it any where. Any one ever see one like this before???

JL........................

Versatile, yes but not too practical in an elevated position. Lots of vibration. Can be dampened somewhat by hanging a large "C" or Kant-Twist clamp in an appropriate place.

Gene

Comment

Originally posted by easymike29 View Post
      Versatile, yes but not too practical in an elevated position. Lots of vibration. Can be dampened somewhat by hanging a large "C" or Kant-Twist clamp in an appropriate place.

Gene
      That was my first thought....... how much vibration. The furthur up the the greater I would imagine. I haven't tried it yet, but for light pass dressing it may be just fine. I generally don't dress more than .005 in a pass.

JL............................

Comment

It'll probably be fine when using relatively "soft" coarse wheels. Harder wheels will definitely cause problems.

My favorite dresser for higher elevations was a magnetic indicator base drilled and reamed for a phono point diamond. Drill and tap for a set screw to hold it in place. If you make one you need to be careful not to drill into the chamber that houses the magnet. To use it you just place it at the appropriate height on the side of the workpiece and turn the magnet on.

Gene

Comment

Yes it works very good . I built one years ago like that for work . them later another to use in my home shop. And just last week end I built one to use at the place I work at now. Been doing a lot of grinding off a sine plate and it keeps you from having to crank the head up and down so much. A very handy attachment to have .
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Working...
          X