Tubal Cain shaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubal Cain shaper

If you google "Tubal Cain Shaper" he has a vidoe on there in 3 parts about a small shop built shaper he was given and has it running. Unknown builder but this shaper is a work of art.

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxysfTM95t4
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

That is the one Peter, thanks much for posting the link to it.

If only the machinist who built this would have stamped his name and date , location into it.

Comment

I saw that but like mine better.And I stamper and dated mine with name and address so 100 years from now some one will know who built it . and wonder about me.
        Last edited by lane; 11-13-2012, 06:28 PM.
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

That is one fine looking shaper Lane. One of the nicest model machines that I have seen. Our toolroom built some machines like that for retiring honcho's tbut they always painted them vista green. Yuck.

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Beautiful job, Lane. But I have to wonder about the quality of tools that you used, and that the unknown machinist had at his disposal, how many years ago...

Remember, everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did backwards, in high heels!

Comment

If you notice at the end of the third video of it running Pete222 has it posted for sale, wonder if anyone has bought it?

The ratchet mechanisim for the crossfeed is quite impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by lane View Post
                I saw that but like mine better.And I stamper and dated mine with name and address so 100 years from now some one will know who built it . and wonder about me.
                Nice work... for a Louisiana boy. Never saw one like that on the rigs in the Gulf. Shiny Shiny! I did spend 1/2 my childhood in Metairie and Kenner and other Gulf coast areas... and the rest in Alaska.

Really impressive work!

John
                My Web Site

Comment

Now that is pretty Lane! Nice job!

Comment

Lane built a matching pair of these.

Comment

I don't know if anyone noticed but his shaper is running in reverse
                      ratchet mechinisem has it advancing on the cutting stroke. No movement on the return stroke

Atlas 7B owner
                      George from Conyers Ga.
                      Remember
                      The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Is Tom Tom D. Walshaw (1912–1998) the nom de plume or alter ego of Tubal Cain or vice versa?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&rlz=...w=1920&bih=884

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
                          Is Tom Tom D. Walshaw (1912–1998) the nom de plume or alter ego of Tubal Cain or vice versa?
                          Walshaw died in 1998 - no Youtube then.

Comment

Thanks Dennis.

A lot of people here seem(ed?) to think that TC was from and age of long ago - which it seems he was not (entirely?).

He wasn't just an old "machinist" who worked wonders in a small workshop the equivelent of an artist's garrett on the South Bank of the river Seine (Paris) either.

It seems that he had quite an array or resources over time and was a lot more academically qualified than a (mere?) "machinist".

His literary, mechanical and engineering skills were - and still are - outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
                              A lot of people here seem(ed?) to think that TC was from and age of long ago - which it seems he was not (entirely?).
                              There have been at least three Tubal Cain's. The "Original" Tubal Cain from the old Model Engineer magazines. Then Tom Walshaw from rec.arts.metalworking, and now this gentleman: Pete222.

I don't know if anyone noticed but his shaper is running in reverse
                              Yep, I noticed that right away -- LOL
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X