Farmhouse Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elf,

The originals are indeed cast, and replicas are on sale. This guy sells them, not far from me: http://www.goedkopestalramen.nl/asse...estalramen.nl/

Originally, the bars on the windows were either L section (at the edges) or T section (the middle bars) to allow a single layer of glass to be fixed in with putty. I took an original, ground the legs off the L's and T's, but the resulting piece was nowhere near flat enough. Also, I sorted through a dozen frames, they all varied on size. The whole trick is that the inner and outer frames align exactly, and the end result looks like an oroginal - but it insulates. hence me going for cutting from plate.

Sophijo, what kind of colour through material are you thinking of? HDPE sheet? Possible, but I also need sufficient strength to stop someone pushing them in, hence steel frames. I guess aluminium would do too, but would be more expensive than steel.

Fasttrack, thanks for the link!

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Sophijo, thanks, you've just given me an idea. The window is fastened to the inside of the outer brick wall by the frame on the inside of the double glazing unit. I can still make this out of 6mm steel, CNC plasma cut. For the outside, I can use 12mm UPVC sheet, routed with a bevel to simulate the putty on the original windows. Easy routing job - just use a steel frame as a template, and a 45 degree ball bearing guided router bit. No corrosion issues, and I can get the UPVC in the same colour as the rest of the windows.

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Working...
      X